Acetic Acid Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Baz. Love the science, it takes me back to when I understood it.
I do not bother with acetic sterilisation but you confirm what I have always thought. Surprised at how low the figure actually is

Basically vapour pressure of acetic acid is around 8.4mmHg at 15°C
Coverting to atm = 8.4/750 = 0.0112 atm
Deep brood box has volume of 50 litre
so using PV=nRT , number of moles of acetic acid needed = 0.0112 ×50/0.0821×288= 0.024 moles
Mol wt acetic acid = 60 60×0.024 = 1.4 g
Using 80% acetic so need slightly more - 1.4/0.8 = 1.77g
Density about 1 so 1.77ml needed to achieve saturation in a deep brood box. Some will adsorb onto comb but if system well sealed you certainly dont need more than 5ml which is way less than the 120ml recommended
Thanks, that all makes sense.
I can see some merit in advising higher amounts to account for losses from poor sealing, but 120ml is clearly ridiculous.
Pouring 5 ml on eg a piece of paper towel to increase surface area and speed evaporation on top of each box should be fine. Seal up in eg a bin bag.

Thanks, that all makes sense.
I can see some merit in advising higher amounts to account for losses from poor sealing, but 120ml is clearly ridiculous.
Pouring 5 ml on eg a piece of paper towel to increase surface area and speed evaporation on top of each box should be fine. Seal up in eg a bin bag.
Proud to have seen this post develop to probably the most informative detail on this subject on the web. Mainly thanks to Baz...Cheers sir! And everyone else...
If acetic acid treatment was more popular this would deserve a sticky.
Way better informed on this now...

Proud to have seen this post develop to probably the most informative detail on this subject on the web. Mainly thanks to Baz...Cheers sir! And everyone else...
If acetic acid treatment was more popular this would deserve a sticky.
Way better informed on this now...
Thank you - perhaps acetic acid treatment would become more popular if folk were having to handle 50 time less than they currently are asked to!

Thank you - perhaps acetic acid treatment would become more popular if folk were having to handle 50 time less than they currently are asked to!
Or it didn't rot any metalwork it comes into contact with - even wires embedded in wax

Or it didn't rot any metalwork it comes into contact with - even wires embedded in wax
Stainless steel wire is absolutely fine in my foundationless frames and vaseline protects the nails. Given the discrepancy in dosing amounts the time of dosing is also probably way too long but that would need to be tested. I wonder if any attempts were made to optimise the published protocol at all?

Stainless steel wire is absolutely fine in my foundationless frames and vaseline protects the nails. Given the discrepancy in dosing amounts the time of dosing is also probably way too long but that would need to be tested. I wonder if any attempts were made to optimise the published protocol at all?
Considering the evident shortage of quality contributions to the bbka magazine maybe an article espousing the information in this thread would be helpful?

Considering the evident shortage of quality contributions to the bbka magazine maybe an article espousing the information in this thread would be helpful?
Would need to get a microbiologist on board to determine what exposure times are needed. I suspect 48H is quite sufficient which would minimise damage to wire but this would need to be tested.

I was gonna use acetic acid to kill nosema and chalkbrood etc and then I wondered if the Certan substitute (DiPel?) against waxmoth would still work if sprayed on after a good airing? I've read that sulphur turns the wax greenish too? Got a fume board but now in a quandary about whether acetic or sulphur is the way forward for sterilisation and I'm afraid all the science of the thread went over my head. I've been awake for nearly 48hrs too which always increases my stupidity- what to do!? :-/

I was gonna use acetic acid to kill nosema and chalkbrood etc and then I wondered if the Certan substitute (DiPel?) against waxmoth would still work if sprayed on after a good airing? I've read that sulphur turns the wax greenish too? Got a fume board but now in a quandary about whether acetic or sulphur is the way forward for sterilisation and I'm afraid all the science of the thread went over my head. I've been awake for nearly 48hrs too which always increases my stupidity- what to do!? :-/
I now hit my stored frames initially with a sulphur burn .. it does not turn wax green. The burning sulphur creates sulphur dioxide gas which will kill just about any living organisms in the frames - and that includes wax moth eggs. I do six supers at a time with the burner in an empty brood box on top of the pile (obviously with a lid on the top of the stack). It dissipates very quickly and then, before I put them into store I spray them with Dipel. Not had a problem with wax moth infestation over winter since doing it this way.

I rarely see chalk brood or Nosema to be honest but I don't know whether that's as the result of my pre-store treatment or just good luck. I store my supers wet as well.

Feeding thymol in syrup or spraying the bees with a warm thymol syrup is a treatment for nosema , with spraying though t may have to be carried out 2 or 3 times.

I now hit my stored frames initially with a sulphur burn .. it does not turn wax green. The burning sulphur creates sulphur dioxide gas which will kill just about any living organisms in the frames - and that includes wax moth eggs. I do six supers at a time with the burner in an empty brood box on top of the pile (obviously with a lid on the top of the stack). It dissipates very quickly and then, before I put them into store I spray them with Dipel. Not had a problem with wax moth infestation over winter since doing it this way.

I rarely see chalk brood or Nosema to be honest but I don't know whether that's as the result of my pre-store treatment or just good luck. I store my supers wet as well.
I can't recall where or who it was that said it tainted the wax green - perhaps another myth busted then. I store all my supers wet too - as much because I find the bees move up into them in the spring more swiftly as for wax moth control. Is there a reason you favour sulphur over acetic acid? My hives are mostly poly and I hadn't intended on fumigating any with exposed metal in, cheers.

I can't recall where or who it was that said it tainted the wax green
Some believe that rendering wax in an aluminium pan turns it green - never experienced that though and I've rendered hundredweights of wax down in an aluminium bain marie

I can't recall where or who it was that said it tainted the wax green - perhaps another myth busted then. I store all my supers wet too - as much because I find the bees move up into them in the spring more swiftly as for wax moth control. Is there a reason you favour sulphur over acetic acid? My hives are mostly poly and I hadn't intended on fumigating any with exposed metal in, cheers.
Sulphur burning is a very quick treatment and has proved very effective for me ... if it works don't fix it.

Sulphur burning is a very quick treatment and has proved very effective for me ... if it works don't fix it.
Presumably the fumes sink in a similar fashion and require similar quantities per box? Just a shame as I've bought a fume dispenser and acetic acid, according to Dr Google, it sterilises and kills chalkbrood and nosema, does sulphur do as thorough a job? Can appreciate if it's not broke don't fix it for you, bit I'm just starting out in terms of comb treatments and am keen to start as I mean to go on... starting beekeeping with a beehaus will teach you that ;-) Bloody thing.

Presumably the fumes sink in a similar fashion and require similar quantities per box? Just a shame as I've bought a fume dispenser and acetic acid, according to Dr Google, it sterilises and kills chalkbrood and nosema, does sulphur do as thorough a job? Can appreciate if it's not broke don't fix it for you, bit I'm just starting out in terms of comb treatments and am keen to start as I mean to go on... starting beekeeping with a beehaus will teach you that ;-) Bloody thing.
All you need for a sulphur burner is a tin can with a lid and some holes drilled in it and a bent nail- I bought one of the Thornes ones for a few quid in the sale but a treacle tin would make a DIY one. The sulphur comes as round discs with a hole in them and I use two discs for a stack of six supers.

I don't know if it will eradicate chalkbrood and nosema ..nothing on Thornes website to indicate that it does.

https://www.thorne.co.uk/health-feeding/pests-diseases/wax-moth/sulphur-burner.html
and the late great Hivemaker would have said if it did in this thread:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/sulphur-strips-and-disinfection.13948/

Latest posts

Back