About laying workers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried nto sort out my queenless laying worker hive

Saturday early morning shook the whole hive onto a sheet and rebuilt the hive. At 10:00 checked the sheet. Only a large mass of drones and 2 or 3 workers.

Obtained a queenright swarm from a fellow beek and have tried to merge them using sheets of newspaper, We felt after discussion with 2 other beeks this was the best course of action. I had been seeding the hive with brood fro 3 weeks and accidentally destroyed a queen cell during the shaking process. Any comments most welcome. I will inspect tomorrow and update you on the results:grouphug:

All is well

Hi Everyone

The two colonies have merged and seem to be happy today. I have rearranged the brood into one box, and ensured the queen was there. They are feeding merrily for the first time in a couple of weeks.

In essence then the act of shaking out the bees did the business for you which to be honest is what I was taught years ago, that messing about with brood was pretty much a waste of time and that shaking them off in front of a hive was the fastest way to sort them out and gain some sort of positive outcome.

Laying workers are a pain and are best dumped.

PH

what I was taught years ago, that messing about with brood was pretty much a waste of time and that shaking them off in front of a hive was the fastest way to sort them out and gain some sort of positive outcome.

Laying workers are a pain and are best dumped.

PH

The secret of laying workers was revieled about 10 years ago by Sheffield University.

I have had laying workers a lot but I have shaked only once 45 years ago.

Shaking is rubbish, but if it keeps nerve together, do it.
Laying worker is not a problem. I have requeened every one and no troubles more in normal requeening. When bees are old, requeening becomes more difficult.

Last laying worker hives I have requeened just dropping the laying queen onto fames and loo what happens. Nothing happened.

Latest posts

Back