Abelo's new hive colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sweinty I have are 7ish years old. So not sure whether that is the old or new design. Doesn't have the slide in Castellation option.

I agree the old Abelo hive does have somewhat of an overhang, but I've seen the new roof and that issue is alleviated. I also use a Wielkopolski design and this roof is the same as their Langstroth and new National design. With it being very similar dimensions to the National, it has meant I can use the roofs which then site flush on the National hives and on any stored equipment.

Do you use a Wagner spray gun?

Does the new abelo have any overhang at all or does it rely on the strap to keep the faces mated?

I hear a lot of hate for the Swienty roof but I honestly think its fine. Especially on top of their poly feeder. A bin liner would probably work jusy as well! ;)

Do your Swienty have runners or do the frames sit directly on the poly?

No I tried the wagner spray gun and airless spray guns and couldnt get on with them

I use cheap spray paint from sprayster. It works a treat and bonds to the poly. Very durable indeed.

I tried four Swientys about six years ago (luckily paid for by a project) and discovered the same: base of boxes lifts frames below. Reason is that Swienty designed the hive as TBS with frame lugs resting on the shelf. Some years later they must have realised that either this was too easy a way to kill bees, or that their hive might sell more if it fell in line with UK National use - BBS - so they included runners but not rebates at the bottom of the boxes to match, because that would have meant an expensive change to the mould.

At about that time they also decided to improve the location of box tops and roof, so re-designed both to have matching curves. The roof was a masterpiece of disaster: the curve meeting points must have led to a significant loss of heat, and the lip of the roof always chipped easily. After a while they realised that it was no good and went back to supplying the old square-cut roof, even though they sell it with the new curved-lip boxes. The 'new' roof (what a waste of a mould) works well as a floor, though...

What this reveals is that ideas ought not to be put into production without sufficient trialling and modifying, but that in reality, they prefer to rush to produce and regret later.

This is my biggest issue with them. If they remoulded with a rebate underneath and did away with the curves, they would be fine

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=633681&postcount=91

When I contacted them I was told it was a rare occurance so they didn't seem overly helpful or concerned. I'd have thought a replacement brood box would have been the proper thing. There is a few posts on that thread with similar issues.

I've seen it definitely a large improvement but could still do better. Wondering if Abelo would do the complete orignal hive but with the new floor and crown board.

Oh wow. I have to say, I have hundreds of swienty boxes and thats never ever happened to mine. Must be a dodgy batch.

I do go in from the corner though where this is a beat more meat.

Abelo are definitely ahead in design but also way ahead in cost.

I bought 20 x full swienty hives for £78 inc vat last year. vs around £120 for a similar unpainted version from Abelo. Big difference.

I'm coming up with similar prices for both hives. Have Swienty at £120 +20 postage. Abelo at £145 painted...Can't find any Swienty at £78....
https://tinyurl.com/snr3kvz
Did you get the discount for a bulk order of 20 hives?

I'm coming up with similar prices for both hives. Have Swienty at £120 +20 postage. Abelo at £145 painted...Can't find any Swienty at £78....
https://tinyurl.com/snr3kvz
Did you get the discount for a bulk order of 20 hives?

Where are you searching?

CWJ has them for £100

https://www.cwynnejones.com/national-polystyrene-hives-parts/256-poly-hive-national.html

But yes, you need to shop around and haggle to get a discount.

Big Big benefit with swienty is the shipping costs are considerably smaller as they are flat packed.

Appreciate some are happy to pay extra and have them arrive ready for action.

20 full hives is at least 5 full pallets if not flat packed. The shipping all adds up

Oh wow. I have to say, I have hundreds of swienty boxes and thats never ever happened to mine. Must be a dodgy batch.

I do go in from the corner though where this is a beat more meat.

I don't understand what you mean in your last sentence?

Sometimes Abelo do sales on the poly hives, not so long ago (around honey show time) they had 10% off the national hive IIRC. I made use of it last year in the new year sales when they did a 10% off everything which I'm hoping they run again this year.

Last edited:

How did the damage come about? Did you lever with your hive tool between the two mated faces (in the middle) or did you come in from the corner?

It was purely the bees chewing the material, in my mind not fit for purpose then.

Sometimes Abelo do sales on the poly hives, not so long ago (around honey show time) they had 10% off the national hive IIRC. I made use of it last year in the new year sales when they did a 10% off everything which I'm hoping they run again this year.

They had 10% off everything over black friday! I made the most of it and went for an auto uncapper and cappings screw press! They arrive next week. Damian is pretty good at accepting my haggling even when they arent running discounts.

It was purely the bees chewing the material.

Oh really???

yeah - its definitely a defective batch. Im very surprised they didnt offer you a replacement. Quite clearly defective. I have hundreds and ive not seen that once.

CWJ has them for £100

https://www.cwynnejones.com/national-polystyrene-hives-parts/256-poly-hive-national.html

But yes, you need to shop around and haggle to get a discount.

Missed the CJW price, Ta.
But if you are quoting a haggling price vs the Abelo price. Was the Abelo price the best you could haggle there...cos if not it would be an unfair comparison.
Still wouldn't use Swienty as too small....plus I hate painting and don't have some super doooper equipment to do it as fast as you....how much did that gear cost?

But note have big huge advantage as Abelo is only 40 minute drive from me so no postage costs.....or painting :D

But if you are quoting a haggling price vs the Abelo price. Was the Abelo price the best you could haggle there...cos if not it would be an unfair comparison.
Still wouldn't use Swienty as too small....plus I hate painting and don't have some super doooper equipment to do it as fast as you....how much did that gear cost?

But note have big huge advantage as Abelo is only 40 minute drive from me so no postage costs.....or painting :D

Yeah I agree. Its not a straight comparison. The issue is when you are buying to order i.e. more than they have in stock, they pass the shipping costs onto you i.e. the EU to UK shipping costs.

Im just down the road from CWJ but still had to pay £200 for the last batch of swienty boxes to be shipped over from the EU.

Example. When I wanted some brood boxes, I had them down to £17 inc VAT for Swienty. Abelo couldnt go lower than £24 inc VAT. I couldnt get the full unpainted hives from Abelo below £115 and this was vs £78.

The cost of poly keeps on rising though.

Ha - my super duper equipment is a can of spray paint. I dont enjoy it but 90 mins for 100 boxes aint too bad.

Just to clarify - I am not a swienty fan boy.

I would prefer to use the Abelo hives with wooden floors but the margins make the boxes more commercially viable for me

Ha - my super duper equipment is a can of spray paint. I dont enjoy it but 90 mins for 100 boxes aint too bad.

Sorry, thought it was one of those super airless sprayers....simple can ...nice work rate!
I suspect if I was dealing with as many hives as yourself the financial aspect would be more important but as relative small timer the margins mean little. Plus I like to support local businesses...even if lots of their produce originates in the EU...Having a local beekeeping business in North Yorkshire is a bonus. Nowt else around.

Sorry, thought it was one of those super airless sprayers....simple can ...nice work rate!
I suspect if I was dealing with as many hives as yourself the financial aspect would be more important but as relative small timer the margins mean little. Plus I like to support local businesses...even if lots of their produce originates in the EU...Having a local beekeeping business in North Yorkshire is a bonus. Nowt else around.

Tried with the airless system. Couldnt get on with it.

I suppose I am bit the same. CWJ less than 10 miles from me so nice to support a local business even if they are importing what I want from Denmark.

Saying that, I do end up spending a ridiculous amount at Abelo. CWJ arent in the same league when it comes to extraction and machinery.

This is my biggest issue with them. If they remoulded with a rebate underneath and did away with the curves, they would be fine

Well, Swienty have had about three or four years to think about it and must reckon that the lack of rebate is acceptable (it's not, not if you want to use the runners and convert to BBS). They must have also concluded that the curved box lips are robust enough for 30 years of service (they're not, not even for 30 months, as I and WildYorkshireHoney found out). It's not just that the edges break off when two propolised boxes are parted: bees can sense the thin material and/or missing chips and chew their way through; result is that quite a few of my Swienty boxes have several entrances (bit like an Abelo box, but less effectively sealed).

Well, Swienty have had about three or four years to think about it and must reckon that the lack of rebate is acceptable (it's not, not if you want to use the runners and convert to BBS). They must have also concluded that the curved box lips are robust enough for 30 years of service (they're not, not even for 30 months, as I and WildYorkshireHoney found out). It's not just that the edges break off when two propolised boxes are parted: bees can sense the thin material and/or missing chips and chew their way through; result is that quite a few of my Swienty boxes have several entrances (bit like an Abelo box, but less effectively sealed).
You mentioned earlier that you only tried the boxes about 6 years ago.

that roughly ties in with angry mobs batch from 7 years ago.

Could it be they have identified the issue and fixed it, because I've got hundreds that are around 5 years old and not one is showing this sort of damage.

I dont like the design so I'm not blindly defending it but seems strange that I've not encountered it even once with such a large number of boxes.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

With that rounded edge there is only about an eighth of an inch in contact with any box, board or excluder above and yes, I had one box with a DIY entrance. With roughly half an inch or less 'meat' outside the lugs as opposed to three times that thickness on the sides, it makes sense to insert the hive tool in the thicker part.

You can get them cheaper still, £70 the lowest I've managed so far.

Double brood sorts sizes issues, new boxes are strong and had zero issues yet. Varnish stops potential chewing (5 second job) at the thin lip. Painting (two coats) full hive takes me little time. Some people speak about bee space and crushing bees, no issues yet. I've been rough with the Hive Tool, again zero issues, seem decent but yet to try the other offerings.

Last edited:
You mentioned earlier that you only tried the boxes about 6 years ago.

that roughly ties in with angry mobs batch from 7 years ago.

Could it be they have identified the issue and fixed it, because I've got hundreds that are around 5 years old and not one is showing this sort of damage.

The roofs in my batch had 2015 moulded on the underside IIRC.

Latest posts

Back