"Abandoned"??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinL

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There are some abandoned hives < a mile away from mine.

The hives have been there around 4-5 years, (at least since we noticed them). there was a visible worn path through the grass to an old field gate & beyond that were the hives in a corner of the field.

Over a year ago (2 winters), we noticed that one was on it's side on the ground.
Then a few weeks back, (after locals were looking to me as the source of several swarms in the village) I decided to have a closer look. Cut back the brambles & hedge that had closed over the field gate.
There were still bees in one hive, the other (on its side in separate parts, roof buried in the soil, upside down & full of two years worth of leaves.
The remaining good hive was overgrown with brambles so I cleared the entrance and lifted the roof, still visible on the top super of the hive was a name & local phone number so I called the number.

Answer came that;
"oh yes they were vandalised. some kids kicked them over" !

So why didn't the keeper put them back upright?
Or was it that he just couldn't be assed?

Well I told him that I'd put the "vandalised" hive back together. Didn't seem that concerned, or appreciative.

Anyway, last week I went to see if anything had changed.
No signs of anyone else visiting, long grass with no disturbance, vegetation not been cut back etc.

Roof on the "vandalised hive was still in the same position I had left it, (on top but on an angle so that it sat on the crown-board & didn't sit down over the hive.

However, now there are bees inside!
Opened the crown-board and there was a swarm clinging to the underside of the board.
They'd only just started to build combe so must have been there less than 24 hours.

Question is;

do I tell the "Beekeeper" about the swarm?

Should I drop an old super on top of the established colony to give them a bit more room?

There are some abandoned hives < a mile away from mine.

The hives have been there around 4-5 years, (at least since we noticed them). there was a visible worn path through the grass to an old field gate & beyond that were the hives in a corner of the field.

Over a year ago (2 winters), we noticed that one was on it's side on the ground.
Then a few weeks back, (after locals were looking to me as the source of several swarms in the village) I decided to have a closer look. Cut back the brambles & hedge that had closed over the field gate.
There were still bees in one hive, the other (on its side in separate parts, roof buried in the soil, upside down & full of two years worth of leaves.
The remaining good hive was overgrown with brambles so I cleared the entrance and lifted the roof, still visible on the top super of the hive was a name & local phone number so I called the number.

Answer came that;
"oh yes they were vandalised. some kids kicked them over" !

So why didn't the keeper put them back upright?
Or was it that he just couldn't be assed?

Well I told him that I'd put the "vandalised" hive back together. Didn't seem that concerned, or appreciative.

Anyway, last week I went to see if anything had changed.
No signs of anyone else visiting, long grass with no disturbance, vegetation not been cut back etc.

Roof on the "vandalised hive was still in the same position I had left it, (on top but on an angle so that it sat on the crown-board & didn't sit down over the hive.

However, now there are bees inside!
Opened the crown-board and there was a swarm clinging to the underside of the board.
They'd only just started to build combe so must have been there less than 24 hours.

Question is;

do I tell the "Beekeeper" about the swarm?

Should I drop an old super on top of the established colony to give them a bit more room?
Me? they obviously don't care so I would tidy them up and leave them to it. The bees seem to have found a "fallen tree" on the ground

Sounds like a good place to let them build up then go and do an AS. Get a hive full of free bees out of it at least.

Ask the Useless One if he has no further interest in or use for his colonies. If he says not, then ask if you can have them. But keep them well clear of your apiary until you're sure they're healthy.
If he won't give them to you, get a bait hive as close as you can.

I think on this occasion i would take my own equipment and put my own hive on the spot and trans fare all the bees into my hive leave it a till all the flying bees are inside and then remove my own hive to another location, i would fill his hive back up with empty frames block the entrance and leave any honey belonging to him in his hive to do what he wants with.
I dare say he will end up with no bees further down the line so to me that would be the kindest thing to do.

I think on this occasion i would take my own equipment and put my own hive on the spot and trans fare all the bees into my hive leave it a till all the flying bees are inside and then remove my own hive to another location, i would fill his hive back up with empty frames block the entrance and leave any honey belonging to him in his hive to do what he wants with.
I dare say he will end up with no bees further down the line so to me that would be the kindest thing to do.

And who owns the land?

What you propose is trespass and illegal use of the land without the landowner's consent..

There is a lot of hard work to be done - landowner and hive owner permissions - before actually doing anything physical..

Will the bees be worth the effort?

And who owns the land?

What you propose is trespass and illegal use of the land without the landowner's consent..

There is a lot of hard work to be done - landowner and hive owner permissions - before actually doing anything physical..

Will the bees be worth the effort?
I have done far worse...:D

I have had many things in my poachers pocket... but never yet a grist of bees!!!

Yeghes da

I have had several hairy arse nipping moment over the years, even worse when you are getting chased by someone on a quad bike blasting a shotgun over your head.. lol.

Me? they obviously don't care so I would tidy them up and leave them to it. The bees seem to have found a "fallen tree" on the ground

I was wondering if he was a member on here?

Moreton Morrell?

I'd be tempted to leave them be and keep my nose out tbh. It wouldn't be any of my business.

I'd be tempted to leave them be and keep my nose out tbh. It wouldn't be any of my business.

That's what I have been doing for two years,

but what about their swarming?

Contact Warwick and Leamington Beekeepers . . .There are members there who keep bees in and around Moreton Morrell. It's a big association but I think relatively few of them are on this forum.

I used to be a member but never attended any meeting due to working shifts so just joined BBKA direct instead.
Have actually spoken to the owner (C.P.) so I don't need to find out who / where he is!

Just interested thoughts from others on here really!

Last edited:
Ask the landowner if you can set up hives of your own there and just let the swarms move into yours. You get free bees from the swarms, any perceived nuisance in the locality is reduced, and the bee colonies get nests for their progeny.

I would prefer not to have my bees anywhere near colonies that are not " looked after" . The neglected bees could be a good reservoir of disease, varroa etc.

I would prefer not to have my bees anywhere near colonies that are not " looked after" . The neglected bees could be a good reservoir of disease, varroa etc.

So what would you propose?

Late-night visit?
Dark clothing?
Can of petrol???:ohthedrama:

Last edited:
You've been in touch, not had an encouraging response, as I see it your choices are to make contact again to propose something (ie.taking over the hives) or minding your own business.

you aint my big brother, put out your bait boxes take what swarms you get and mind your own business, its good advice, any other action and you will not be thanked in the long run.

If one hive has been on its side for 2 years I would take that as a sign the owner is no longer interested. Give his phone number to the locals who are complaining about swarming bees, wait a week, then offer to take them off his hands for free. ;):)

Latest posts

Back