A Painful Newbie Experience

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Begs the question what were you inspecting for? What was you reason for going in? Just wondered!
E

I wanted to see if they had any stores in the lower brood box because when I hefted, the hive felt very light. The upper half brood is packed with brood but very little stores.

If no one else has suggested it get an epi pen mate.
I got bees in my suit lol thats not good. I found one in my belly button, luckily it had already stung me.
I didn't get any reaction other than swelling where I was stung.

The bees well lots of reasons why they are defensive.
They got a lot worse when you left the hive open so I guess wasps or robbing. Could be weather, your aftershave/perfume, hell they may just be having a bad day.
Wear gauntlets and a jumper under bee suit next time lol. Or a suit with another jacket on top. yes i did that to finish an inspection. The next week they were lovely.

If no one else has suggested it get an epi pen mate.

A doctor will only prescribe an epipen to somebody who has suffered anaphylactic shock.

Adrenaline can kill if administered inappropriately. Only yesterday there was a report that they're going to trial using saline instead of adrenaline on heart attack patients, because of the known ill-effects of adrenaline - does it kill more than it cures? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ebo-by-paramedics-in-controversial-trial.html

Adrenaline can kill if administered inappropriately. Only yesterday there was a report that they're going to trial using saline instead of adrenaline on heart attack patients, because of the known ill-effects of adrenaline - does it kill more than it cures? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ebo-by-paramedics-in-controversial-trial.html[/QUOTE]

A&E and antihistamine were mentioned by the OP
other than an epi pen being the best current available thing for allergic reaction i have no idea.
the article is scary, a lot of people that have a heart attack die? really ? no sh1t.
They're giving a placebo at the most critical time lol great, that makes sense.
Roll the dice on that one then. After waiting 30 mins for an ambulance they will treat my heart attack with saline ,, I want my money back.

edit
can i get a neclase that says i have private insurance. wouldn't want the nhs to kill me for a survey if the private side would pay for it lol. there is a lot they wont

Last edited:
Had you checked for eggs before you destroyed the queen cells?

There was evidence of BIAS in the super when we removed the QC's.

I can't see eggs due to my poor eyesight so I can't say 100% that they were there, but the queen had only been trapped in the super for 7 days and there was freshly capped brood in there.

The week before there was only honey so we thought it a safe bet that she was still laying, and that the QC's were a result of us trapping her where there were only a few completed cells to lay into as the super had only been on for a week before we added the QE.

On the plus side, in the short time I had to observe the super on Monday it looked like there was comb drawn on virtually every frame, and lots of activity in the super too.

Andy

I can't see eggs due to my poor eyesight so I can't say 100% that they were there, but the queen had only been trapped in the super for 7 days and there was freshly capped brood in there.
Use a magnifying glass, get one small enough to keep in your pocket but large enough to handle with gloves on.

I will have to get a magnifier, but my wife is the main Beek, I'm just the stunt double who gets the stings :)

She may have better eyesight than me

Andy

Hi Andy
I think you have already sussed out what was wrong
Separated from queen raising queen cell at a time of year when robbing and wasp attacks are going on
Best leave them for s while till they forget your new status as enemy of the people ;)
They will change their tune when they find some Himalayan balsam or something
Bit like nice glass of wine after a two hour search for your glasses or keys
They Dont like it when the queen goes missing for a while

I think we have finally found out what has been causing the problem - at least I hope we have.

The colony has continued to be very defensive for a while now, with bees following and atttacking other beeks even if they hadn't been close to the hive.

Last weekend one of the other beeks noticed several bees going in and out under the floor, at the back so I went to check it out.

The mesh floor had bowed slightly at the back, allowing bees in and out that way, presumably robbers?

I temporarily fixed the gap by wedging a couple of stones under the mesh to block it off, and I am going to wait a few days for them to sort themselves out before attempting a quick inspection and more permanent fix this weekend.

Wish me luck!

Andy

Latest posts

Back