A new colony and honey supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two questions please guys.
1. I have (had) two hives. One (from a swarm last year) is nice and strong. About 6 weeks ago it had swarm queen cells on a super frame. Having read about the process to start a new colony, I decided to have a try. I removed the sealed queen cells along with a couple of super frames of bees. I placed them in an empty hive and gave them feed. Two weeks ago, having noticed the feeder was still being used, I opened up and discovered sealed brood (2 frames) and eggs. Very pleased! But, what's the best steps to now protect and encourage the colony to survive. They have a very small entrance already, to reduce risk of wasp attack.
2. My other two colonies are very active and, about 6 weeks ago, I gave them both a honey super above a queen excluder. Neither colony have drawn the new comb at all. Why might this be? Both are on 1.5 brood.

2. They are not ready to use it. How many actual frames of brood do you have in the brood and half.?
1and 2. Keep the bee density high. Using dummy boards.

Are the dummy boards just to help the bees keep warm or do they serve other purposes as well?

two colonies are very active
Neither colony have drawn the new comb at all
Bit late in the season to draw foundation unless both colony and flow is strong. They may be putting it all in the brood box. Is there space for the queen to lay?

Both are on 1.5 brood.
You could put the queen into the BB, put the QX on that, and the .5 box of brood on top. Take off the foundation. As the brood emerges in the .5 they'll use the box to store nectar.

Depending on the flow/space balance, the foundation super may be needed later on top of the QX and below the .5 box. This will make the most of nest heat needed to draw comb.

Is your crownboard sealed and insulated?

Have a very strong flow at the moment, so that I am getting short of supers. Also because I wanted some deep frames drawn I put on a deep containing 9 frames of foundation ( drawn comb on the flanks) as a super, and it is being drawn at a rate of knots.

No none round here. On edge of town so bramble and general countryside. Starting to fly to gardens. Fields of vetch over the hedge.

Have a very strong flow at the moment, so that I am getting short of supers. Also because I wanted some deep frames drawn I put on a deep containing 9 frames of foundation ( drawn comb on the flanks) as a super, and it is being drawn at a rate of knots.
Super flow here also. Got my bees on 12th June, added a super on the 30th June. BB has some sealed honey and super was bursting heavy so added another super this AM. Have only 2 supers all together so wondering if I need to rush and get a spare in case I need to add a 3rd super. Could that be possible this time of year?

Bit late in the season to draw foundation unless both colony and flow is strong. They may be putting it all in the brood box. Is there space for the queen to lay?

You could put the queen into the BB, put the QX on that, and the .5 box of brood on top. Take off the foundation. As the brood emerges in the .5 they'll use the box to store nectar.

Depending on the flow/space balance, the foundation super may be needed later on top of the QX and below the .5 box. This will make the most of nest heat needed to draw comb.

Is your crownboard sealed and insulated?

Thanks. I'm pretty useless at finding the Queen so I would probably end up leaving her in the .5 box! Crownboard is sealed and insulated, yes.

Thanks for the tips, chaps. I've purchase some dummy boards now and will place these on the outer sides surrounding the new colony - leaving them enough to expand. Good tip, thanks. Will also make inspection easier - take out dummies first and then ease frames away sideways rather than upwards. All really useful tips.

Latest posts

Back