A nasty rash...bit freaked out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking no chances.

Self-medicating proactively.

It would be irresponsible not to.

Dusty

Hmmm - I was stung twice at the weekend - would that mean I should take two bottles of 'red' self medication :D:D:D (As long as I don't try to cure the hangover with Ibuprofen?):Angel_anim::Angel_anim::Angel_anim:

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I'm going to telephone the doctor tomorrow and see if I can get on the allergy programme. I was offered it a couple of years ago but declined as the reaction wasn't this severe then. Am hoping NHS cuts haven't put paid to that!

Now to ask for some advice on the colony I'm having trouble with.....

if you can, try to get refered to St mary's paddington london which is part of the NHS Imperai group Hospitals... probably the best hosptial for beekeepers with alletgic reaction

Last edited:
What is wrong with ibuprofen ? I suffer badly from muscle pain due ti chronic illness and take strong NSAIDs twice daily (same family as ibuprofen) - should I be worried? Got stung 3 times on ankle last week still itches but no rash or swelling

What is wrong with ibuprofen ? I suffer badly from muscle pain due ti chronic illness and take strong NSAIDs twice daily (same family as ibuprofen) - should I be worried? Got stung 3 times on ankle last week still itches but no rash or swelling

NSAISs and bee venom do not mix, so don't be a whimp, "pain is only a sensation"! ;)

Didn't realise this myself until I read it on here! not worthynot worthy

From what's been said on here, (can't find the thread but I'm sure someone will) you should not be taking them after being stung because they can intensify a reaction. :eek:

Mmmmm interesting. I have reacted quite strongly to several bee stings where the bee parted company with the sting this year. Last year not very much reaction just a small tap washer sized bump but the sting did not part company with the bees.
The interesting bit is that I do take medication for hypertension. I do not usually take painkillers, but in April broke an ankle bone and took a couple of Ibuprofen, accurate count not a euphemism for the whole packet. I am now wondering if the Vodka might be a good alternative to Ibuprofen. I do prefer a good single malt.

Mmmmm interesting. I have reacted quite strongly to several bee stings where the bee parted company with the sting this year. Last year not very much reaction just a small tap washer sized bump but the sting did not part company with the bees.
The interesting bit is that I do take medication for hypertension. I do not usually take painkillers, but in April broke an ankle bone and took a couple of Ibuprofen, accurate count not a euphemism for the whole packet. I am now wondering if the Vodka might be a good alternative to Ibuprofen. I do prefer a good single malt.
s
Some of the Ace inhibators used for hypertension medicines are known to increase sensitivity

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsl...r/2006/July/more_on_stings_and_ace_inhibitors

Do not use nhs direct/111 for this sort of issue.

If severe reaction the answer is 999 or a trip to local a&e/minor injuries unit.

If not severe then see your gp at first opportunity.

Potential anaphylaxis is not something that can wait for a doctor to call back.

Latest posts

Back