Bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly the worst thing you can wear ...unless you really have the hive from hell.
Bee stings mount up on thick leather gloves without you noticing them and the alarm pheromones skyrocket resulting in a frenzied attack on you. You can get an unreal impression of your bees temperament.

In order to sting you a bee needs to grip with their legs and then use that leverage to depress their stinger. They find it more difficult to grip smooth nitrile gloves. You can tell when you have a bad colony by the way the bees "bounce" off your gloves...they are trying to gain footage to sting you but (in most cases ) can't.

Actually the bees barely have to grip at all since once the first (of two) lancet is in, the reciprocating action of of the sting mechanism means that the barb on the first lancet holds the system in place while the second lancet moves forward, then it's barb holds while the first one moves in again.

See Dave Cushman: http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/stingstructure.html

Actually the bees barely have to grip at all since once the first (of two) lancet is in, the reciprocating action of of the sting mechanism means that the barb on the first lancet holds the system in place while the second lancet moves forward ...

Once the sting is in, yes, it pumps its way deeper - but Beefriendly was talking about the bee’s initial effort to insert, or ‘depress’ the sting.

Last edited:
Actually the bees barely have to grip at all since once the first (of two) lancet is in, the reciprocating action of of the sting mechanism means that the barb on the first lancet holds the system in place while the second lancet moves forward, then it's barb holds while the first one moves in again.

To get those first lancets in they need to grip and fulcrum their abdomens.

Last edited:
Last week I managed to get stung through nitriles twice in quick succession - one on middle finger and the other on the side of my hand.
Might do the next couple of inspections with marigolds underneath the nitriles, but I'm thinking the sting on the finger was a wasp.
Also, there's a possibility I gripped the bee on the side of my hand in a crease, providing the grip it needed...

I'd also say beware of getting propolis on your nitriles - as there's some more grip for the bees.

I still won't be buying the thick gloves - I like being able to feel what I'm doing.

I had an earlier sting site (ear) react to a later sting/s to hand a few years ago, like a nettle rash down the side of my neck.
I don't like the sound of that large, purple mark, I'd get it checked out.

Interesting, so our theory could be true. She still has the mark on her leg, but no swelling now and its got a lot smaller. You say to get it checked out, but really - what will a Dr say "come back if it gets worse". Is it really worth getting it looked at?

And I like my thick leather gloves. I find they are find for picking up frames. Although I may struggle with more complex things like marking queen.

I have read the arguments before, that you wont notice stings and it can make the bees angry etc. But tbh my bees are like a box of butter fly's. I have been stung in the glove once, and I noticed as it happened. And that was because I made the noob mistake of placing my smoker where the smoke was wafting up through the OMF and revving up the bees up.

I would prefer to open my hive with no trousers than with no gloves. I take my hat off (a cap under my suit in this case) to people who ware no gloves. I don't fear getting stung except in the hands and face. Or getting proper stung up.

There is no right and wrong way - just a noob and pro way, and I am a self confessed noob. So gloves for me thanks.

I’ve had my bees about the same time.....why are you getting stung so much? I’ve not been stung at all. I wear a jacket/veil (cheap one) and blue nitrile gloves. Treat the bees with respect and they won’t try to sting you?

I do treat the bees with respect.

I was taking honey the other day and was surrounded by bees when a wasp stung me on the arm; ironic or what?!

I'm sure you do. There could be many reasons for getting stung. Always good to keep trying to learn and improve though.

There is some quite good advice here by Randy Oliver. However, he seems to have a magic protective forcefield around him. He took me around some of his apiaries...one had been attacked by a bear in the night - they chased me and got in my hair but ignored Randy. Later at another place one hopped onto my stomach and stung me through my tee shirt even before the roof was off - again he was unscathed! :laughing-smiley-014

Sorry that probably came across a bit harsh. But why are you getting stung so much? I’ve been around both horrible hives and nice ones but not stung once. Admittedly I’ll not open a hive without protection but what attracts them to you to be stung so much?

Last week I managed to get stung through nitriles twice in quick succession - one on middle finger and the other on the side of my hand.
Might do the next couple of inspections with marigolds underneath the nitriles, but I'm thinking the sting on the finger was a wasp.
Also, there's a possibility I gripped the bee on the side of my hand in a crease, providing the grip it needed...

I'd also say beware of getting propolis on your nitriles - as there's some more grip for the bees.

I still won't be buying the thick gloves - I like being able to feel what I'm doing.
I have been stung loads of times through the nitrile gloves but it is always my fault..when you go through eight strong colonies you are always going to squash one or two my mistake..even when wearing nitriles you can feel a bee under your hand or finger but it is usually to late by the time you release your grip...i just grin and bare it now as i could not handle wearing anything else on my hands..i also have a tin of Purple Airwick 6 in 1 Air freshener in my tool tray that i spray the sting site with straight away to get rid of the attack pheromone.

Just to add that allergy can develop, sometimes dangerously- it's not you're allergic or you're not. Unhelpfully, opinion is divided about whether being stung or avoiding being stung is more likely to result in allergy developing.

Last edited:
Back