A bit misleading…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would there be any merit in putting matchsticks (or more likely something sturdier like coins) under the bb to raise it off a solid floor fractionally?
if you are using solid floors maybe

Would there be any merit in putting matchsticks (or more likely something sturdier like coins) under the bb to raise it off a solid floor fractionally?
Yes if the brood box is on a solid floor with a small entrance.

Yes if the brood box is on a solid floor with a small entrance.
Is this something you do? I’ve got one hive on a solid floor and wondered if there’s anything I should be doing to improve ventilation (especially as the whole hive will be within a ‘cosy’ like the ones you use)

Is this something you do? I’ve got one hive on a solid floor and wondered if there’s anything I should be doing to improve ventilation
I never bother - the few solid floors I have overwinter fine with reduced entrances and without any matchsticks above or below the brood box

Is this something you do? I’ve got one hive on a solid floor and wondered if there’s anything I should be doing to improve ventilation (especially as the whole hive will be within a ‘cosy’ like the ones you use)
No. I have three on solid floors. Two poly and one wood with a cosy. All on UFE. They are fine.

Unless the hive has a "cosy", I'd expect lifting the brood box off the floor is asking for rain to get driven in which probably isn't helpful in terms of either the bees staying warm or the longevity of the hive floor. If the hive does have a cosy, I can't see that lifting the brood box off the floor is likely to serve any useful purpose other than satisfy the beekeeper's urge to fiddle with stuff for the sake of it.

James

as usual a very generic approach for the non thinking beekeeper, but then I suppose its a way of trying to indoctrinate new members in to the one true path of the BBKA.

local BKA newsletter mentions potential of using insulation for the winter preparation (at last) and in the next section suggests that if not on a OMF, one should consider using matchsticks under the crown board to 'improve ventilation' 😩
A hole in teh head improves ventialtion as well
No. I have three on solid floors. Two poly and one wood with a cosy. All on UFE. They are fine.
Ditto

It's like this forum. Ask three beekeepers.
I suppose they are as entitled to publish any old view just as we are. At least here there is the luxury of an instant rejoinder.
They should have the warning in bold print at the beginning of the article with maybe a link here?;)
Yes like a food label
“This article may contain Cobblers”.
This from a second year keeper. But I have to say I had a moment of doubt about adding 2-1 syrup today following that article.
If there are any newbies reading this, if you have any doubt ask the forum gurus.

I checked my feeders today. The bees have slowed right down and are only taking the invert very slowly now. Is that likely to be because they’ve had all they want/need or is it because it’s getting cooler? They were wolfing it down until about a week ago.

Hives have the below weights (of stores);

Hive 1: 34lbs Small/medium sized colony
Hive 2: 20lbs Medium size colony.

I’m particularly concerned with hive 2…they just don’t seem to want to take any more. Should I be concerned or do they know what they’re doing?

Last edited:
I checked my feeders today. The bees have slowed right down and are only taking the invert very slowly now. Is that likely to be because they’ve had all they want/need or is it because it’s getting cooler? They were wolfing it down until about a week ago.

Hives have the below weights;

Hive 1: 34lbs Small/medium sized colony
Hive 2: 20lbs Medium size colony.

I’m particularly concerned with hive 2…they just don’t seem to want to take any more. Should I be concerned or do they know what they’re doing?
Are these Nationals?
If they are they need 40lb ish of stores add 5lb for the bees and the weight of the box and frames

Are these Nationals?
If they are they need 40lb ish of stores add 5lb for the bees and the weight of the box and frames
Sorry, I worded that badly…I should have said I was quoting the weight of stores (I weighed the whole inhabited hives and then subtracted the weight of an empty hive, frames and bees).

I know I need to get them to 40lb, but they’re not taking the invert…or at least not much. Could it be because the colonies are smaller than average and they don’t think they need it?

I might try putting a hot water bottle above the syrup as an experiment 😂

Latest posts

Back