9x19mm strip wood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

Trying to build a hive from scratch and looking at plans for a crown board on Dave Cushman and a few others, it suggests 9x19mm strip wood. After much looking around online and at local DIY/hobby shops, I'm not having much luck. The only place I have managed to find it is on a trader only site.
Where do people buy this elusive wood from? Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated!

You start with a tree and whittle it down to that size!:sorry:

Cut/plane from any over-sized plank/board/strip.

What tools do you have? A table saw and/or planer-thicknesser are useful, but the job can be achieved with simpler hand tools. A router could be used as well. The actual size is likely unimportant and given as a typical cross section.

That size strip is often available, at horrendous cost, from diy shops which have a rack of small-section beadings.

See if you can find someone who makes garden fencing - the battens used in trellis work is about that thickness.

Check with saw miils or anybody who works with reclaimed timber - quite often those sort of guys have suitable strips of wood available at very little money.
LJ

go to a wood yard and ask them to cut it for you.
the strip wood at diy places is far to expensive.

Back