5 frame nuc for £160

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is in the right region for today's market. however, prices seem to vary between 125-200. I guess you could seek out cheaper but local bees from a known local keeper may be better for you. Also I wonder if prices might vary depending upon location and time of year that they will be available. Early ones may be more expensive perhaps.

Sam

At my local beekeeping meeting tonight a beekeeper was saying that he will be charging £160 for a 5 frame nuc...is this the normal cost of them now?
Darren.

I personally advocate buying local as you should be able to inspect before and possibly get support from the supplier.
A quick look at bid 4 bees shows 5-6frame nucs ranging from £120 - £185!

Then again there is a full colony in a brood box (looks old) for £160.

I am sure some suppliers will play the game of supply and demand, trying to get the best price dependent on time of year / demand, I personally plan on producing Nucs for sale locally in the future so have taken an interest in prices / quality / service. I also believe in supporting my local assoc. and intend on offering priority and a discount (or donation to the assoc.) for members.

Prices dont seem as firm as last year, judging on the those quoted from the Lincoln show on another thread. To me £160 for a 5 frame nuc sounds expensive (some went for half that at Lincoln), but it may depend on local economics and availability.

It all depends.

I am not letting mine go at this time as they are not strong enough to justify the price.

When I sell a five frame nuc I want the buyer to get four good frames of brood and a considerable number of bees with a good laying pattern. That to me justifies what I am asking.

PH

Darren,

there is a demand for bees in our neck of the woods and I imagine that people will pay those prices BUT - there are a few folk about who sell Nucs at a lot less than the figure you quote.

i am not looking to buy them,it was just that he was saying thats what he'd be charging,i bought my first 5frame nuc off the same man last year for £100,yea teemore joe was saying last nite that even dromore beekeepers home apiary has no bees,is this true?...we the rostrevor and warrenpoint beekeepers can count ourselves lucky then because we only started up last year and our home apiary has two lovley hives...;o) you'll have to take a run up and join us some nite teemore?

60 to 70€ here on the frame, perhaps €100 to €150 for an existing colony in a brood box, (sometimes with supers included).

Interesting difference, sounds like taking people for a ride to me.

Chris

I am in that bee club too and am looking for bees. After hearing the £160 price tag last night I decided to put out a bait hive.

It all depends.

I am not letting mine go at this time as they are not strong enough to justify the price.

When I sell a five frame nuc I want the buyer to get four good frames of brood and a considerable number of bees with a good laying pattern. That to me justifies what I am asking.

PH
Well done! Shame there are not more like Polyhive who take pride in what they sell instead of those who jump on newcomers like dogs on a bone in the anticipation of making profit at any cost; while laughing up their sleeves.

Local associations have been known to harbour a pack who groom newbies into their net. Buyers beware.

Shook swarms are cheaper too but not any real experience with them.

Chris, I agree newbies in some associations are 'steered' into believing £160/what ever is a good price.

Last edited:
The "usual suspects" charge £220 for a nuc,and seem to sell out quite quickly every year,along with a few others who charge a similar price.

I paid £150 last year for a nuc, and it was so successful that I'm just about to pay £160 for another one which I'm picking up on Saturday from the same guy. I bought from him because highly recommended locally, so would suggest if you can be sure of your supplier this could a reasonable price (although I'm in Surrey, & from what I see prices can vary a good deal around the country probably because of demand, I don't know about demand where you are).

Out of interest, at a local auction last weekend, three full size colonies went for prices ranging from £255 to £345, which is surely more than they could be worth economically, but there's a lot of hobbyists round here anxious to stock up (and presumably with plenty of money!)

Some years ago at an auction the average was £35, and two parties were failing every time to "win"

so the last hive came up a rotten home made WBC.... they went head to head and the hammer dropped at £114.

The loser was gutted.. then brightened as he realised his escape.. the "winner" was very happy then he realised....

Auctions are not always really a good guide... lol

PH

Darren, I'll actually be in your neck of the woods on Sunday - four of us are calling with Joe in the pm. He is right about Dromore.... have heard the story about their lack of bees from a few people now and also about other problems they had last year....

What night does your association meet anyway?

Lyndon

Latest posts

Back