4lb Loaf Tins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beehive1234

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Match box
Is it just me or is it really hard to find a 4lb loaf tin on the internet? The only place I can buy one from is Amazon. No matter how many searches I make. the price is £15.00!
Is this because we are not allowed to make a decent loaf of bread in this country?
Please prove me wrong................pardon the pun.

How about this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4lb-Heavy...K_Home_Baking_Accessories&hash=item462e899b30

Also type in 4lb loaf tin on google and click on shopping and you will find a few more,

£17 including postage !

I think it's a case of supply and demand ... not much demand for big home made loaves of bread these days ... I bake my own but I find that, without the preservatives put in by commercial bakers, by the end of the next day, if the bread is not eaten, it's hen fodder ...not wasted though. A 4lb loaf would last us a week ... or it would if it lasted that long !

... I bake my own but I find that, without the preservatives put in by commercial bakers, by the end of the next day, if the bread is not eaten, it's hen fodder …

Reduce the amount of yeast (and the fermentation temperature).
The dough will rise more slowly (try overnight), but the bread will taste better and go stale more slowly.
I realise this may not be an option for users of automated breadmakers, but at least they can understand where the problem arises.

Bread made with your own 'starter' (ferment) rather than lots of yeast, makes "sourdough" bread which goes stale really very slowly.

Last edited:
Reduce the amount of yeast (and the fermentation temperature).
The dough will rise more slowly (try overnight), but the bread will taste better and go stale more slowly.
I realise this may not be an option for users of automated breadmakers, but at least they can understand where the problem arises.

Bread made with your own 'starter' (ferment) rather than lots of yeast, makes "sourdough" bread which goes stale really very slowly.

Thanks ITMA ... That's a tip I'll try .. I've made sourdough bread but it's not universally liked by the family but the hens don't mind it !

I have an automatic breadmaker but I also bake in the traditional way as well ... breadmaker is quick but I find the traditional way produces a better loaf.

Longer (12-24-36 hours) ferments also allow for very minimal kneading being required in my experience.

Thank you, it's reassuring to know that you're getting the same search results.
Why, when I try to prove for longer times it just makes huge air bubbles below the surface of the loaf?

Do you reknead after proving? This should remove any trapped air!

Thank you, it's reassuring to know that you're getting the same search results.
Why, when I try to prove for longer times it just makes huge air bubbles below the surface of the loaf?

1/ Searching my brain suggests that I first came across the reduced yeast + longer cooler fermentation = better flavour + slower staling in Elizabeth David's "English Bread & Yeast Cookery" but my bread baking reading moved on a long way after that.

2/ But, being out of practice and seeking confirmation, I did search the web for "flying top" and turned up something of my own from what seems like long, long ago … http://forums.egullet.org/topic/139148-major-holes-in-yeast-bread/?p=1819879 :blush5:
In your case, I'd guess the top of the dough is drying out.

Do you reknead after proving? This should remove any trapped air!

I also think it is worth distinguishing between fermentation time and the time after shaping, which is proofing time. Its an important distinction, but lost on far too many authors …

Latest posts

Back