3rd Winter beckons

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When March comes in like a lion and goes out like a Lamb....Well I guess we had Storm Eunice or was it her successor at the start of the month, then the winds dies back, the bees suddenly became visibly active and a week of gradually finer weather with plum and now pear blossom out....and then today it starts snowing as I filmed the bees coming and going in 9 degree heat...you couldn't make it up.

And the fuel seems to have jumped up again after such a generous cut in fuel duty of a whopping 5p and it seems it's almost back where it was a week ago. I was too busy trying to shake the hose out at the pump today into the diesel sipping Landrover that I completely forgot....to put the blasted filler cap back on and only discovered this when I got home this evening. Yes, I had a Basil Fawlty moment of utter rage at myself and the world and everything bad that wasn't fault which was actually triggered not by the realisation the filler cap was missing as I locked the truck, but after I managed to drop BOTH my chocolate digestives on the floor after making a mug of tea leaving them in pieces.

A very helpful chap at Sainsburys garage popped out and retrieved my filler cap from the pump where it had been sitting for 5 hours after a telephone call.

Phew.

Last week I did get through about 50 colonies - most were doing well with plenty of brood, pollen and even a small flow in places. Most had demolished the Christmas fondant I'd popped on the top. Only one apiary seemed to have suffered with dysentery in 5 colonies which did for them and two more isolation starvation for no apparent reason. The dysentery affected colonies were closed up and removed and the frames will be melted down, and the boxes and floors thoroughly scorched.

Looking more into the causes of dysentery, Randy Oliver on his website cautions against instantly thinking Nosema is primary cause. He suggests fermented yeasts coupled with an inability to fly to void the gut contents can and is often as much to blame. Looking back at my notes, for some reason the apiary in question didn't receive thymolised sugar syrup like the others - I used up spare standard sugar syrup I had to hand - and I wonder if this had begun fermenting as it can do if in a less then clean feeder or container.....This could be the root of the problem.

Note to self - thymolise all syrup and do a better job of cleaning feeders !

Hey ho, I'm off to dig my skis and bobble hat out

KR

Somerford

I don't really get the layout of this site. Why is this a blog and not just a forum post? Blogs would be continuing updates on a beekeeper's activity wouldn't they? Not single posts?

Yours, in confusion. BB.

I don't really get the layout of this site. Why is this a blog and not just a forum post? Blogs would be continuing updates on a beekeeper's activity wouldn't they? Not single posts?

Yours, in confusion. BB.
With a blog you can write what you like knowing most people won't argue with you. It's a good way to avoid controversy in the face of naysayers. Not that Somerford is doing that particularly on purpose
Blogs can be about anything after all

For that extra kick between the legs I’m currently in Poland and the fuel is £1.27 /litre and I’m close to the Ukrainian border! You’d think fuel would be astronomical here but then I forgot they don’t have a princess nut nut and a flat to decorate in the finest .

For that extra kick between the legs I’m currently in Poland and the fuel is £1.27 /litre and I’m close to the Ukrainian border! You’d think fuel would be astronomical here but then I forgot they don’t have a princess nut nut and a flat to decorate in the finest .
Can you fill some plastic containers, balloons, anything really and bring some diesel back for me please

Fair enough

I think the Blog section of this site could do with a remodel, that's all.

A blog would usually be somewhere I can go to see a regular stream of updates from an author. When I click on "Authors", and select your name, this post isn't even there - the most recent one is from May 2020.

Also, when I go to the main Blog page, the first Blog showing is CGF's "Beekeeping on the titterstone Clee hill" from 2020 (not sure why recent "blog" posts aren't showing at the top?), but when I click on it to read it, I get "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Anyway, not your fault - just a shame that the Blog section is a bit of a technical mess.

Fair enough

A blog would usually be somewhere I can go to see a regular stream of updates from an author. When I click on "Authors", and select your name, this post isn't even there - the most recent one is from May 2020.

Also, when I go to the main Blog page, the first Blog showing is CGF's "Beekeeping on the titterstone Clee hill" from 2020 (not sure why recent "blog" posts aren't showing at the top?), but when I click on it to read it, I get "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Anyway, not your fault - just a shame that the Blog section is a bit of a technical mess.
Feed it back to the mods and owners.

it used to be the case you could do what you suggest but it changed

I have written more than 1 update since May 2020

when the new forum owners took it over it took me ages to work out how to post to my blog and a 'new thread' was seen as the easiest way.

re permissions again drop the mods a line

KR

S

Fair enough

Just message @BeeAdmin if you have a suggestion. Or else just ignore this thread.

Latest posts

Back