3 of 4 'Bee Quick' and clearer boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not expect to drive an occupied super worth of bees through a couple of Porter bee escapes.

THINK! Beequick is used to clear a super in a couple minutes or so!

:iagree: especially DO NOT use porter bee escapes AND Beequick. The bees will flee the smell of the Beequick as RAB has said, within a couple of minutes, they can't get through the bee escapes in that time.
Andy

Do you have to have special boards for rombus bees escapes?

You can convert any feeder board but you have to add an eke to the underneath(where the escapes are) to "hold" the cleared bees. Itma has suggested 3" which seems to work well.

You can convert any feeder board but you have to add an eke to the underneath(where the escapes are) to "hold" the cleared bees. Itma has suggested 3" which seems to work well.

thankyou

I discovered that only after I went to put the clearer board on the hive :hairpull: I knocked up an eke out of some scrap wood, it's not a work of art but it does the job and could also be used for Apiguard if needed

i shake and brush my bees off the supers,all done in one visit.i also put feeder on at the same time.it can get a bit wild so suit up well.

Thought i'd dig out this old thread as i'm thinking of giving this stuff a try,but there's not much info in this thread about peoples thoughts on the stuff.Has anyone any experience of using this?Does it leave any residues or taste in the honey?Does it upset the bees or make them angry?Any other potential drawbacks?

cheers

Being a little older and wiser now - all the Bee quick seemed to do was make the bees even angrier so I gave up on that.
The best clearer, in my humble experience, is either a rhombus escape over an eek or an empty super or a bee brush, usually both.
Oh and for completeness I now have a better suit and better gloves and so fewer stings, I just have to work out the requeening thing now to get calmer bees!

I use the rhombus clearer board but if I'm in a rush I just brush the bees off the frame and then put the honey frames in a plastic storage box. My daughter helps by opening & closing the box at the right time so I get no bees in the box...well maybe one or two.

Same here.

The bees die happy tho.

So my little bee escapes are going to be useless in clearing the four supers of bees then. Oh well back to the drawing board.
Unfortunately one of the hazards of keeping bees is that you will get stung which with me is a regular occurrence.

Unfortunately one of the hazards of keeping bees is that you will get stung which with me is a regular occurrence.

Certainly seems to be..

I used to use bee quick and found it works well. You need to ensure the the metal cover gets warm, hot sunny day is best and that you give the bees time to clear.
S

I used to use bee quick and found it works well. You need to ensure the the metal cover gets warm, hot sunny day is best and that you give the bees time to clear.
S

Thanks

Did you find it made them aggressive?

I've used Bee Quick and also at other times a leaf blower. Bee quick worked fine on a warm day and the bees just hung outside the hive but were not aggressive.

The leaf blower also works a treat and is my preferred option now as it is very fast. Any time I have used it they have not been aggressive which did surprise me give that they get blown all over the place! Of course it's an expensive option but given the cost of Bee Quick I think it's a better choice in the long run, and of course you can clear the leaves in your garden with it :)

Latest posts

Back