2nd inspection with queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Green queen in WBC with brood and half. - First inspection 8 days ago. found small number of QC plus BIAS. All QC removed. Yesterday again BIAS, 1 QC in bottom brood box and 2 in top half brood box. my thoughts supersedure.
Green queen still laying good brood pattern and summer flow about to start. best production hive for spring crop.

What to do?
1/ If QC next week let the bees sort it.
2/ If QC next week, knock down all but 1 and move queen into nuc and use her to produce brood, draw brood frames etc.
3/ Demarree

Thoughts please.

Make an artificial swarm to foundation frames. It is only way to cut swarming fever.
Swarming time continues.

Best hive means often hybrid mating and it adds swarming.

Take it sure and shoose AS way.

It's been mentioned before superscedure is used to much and often, I always treat any QC as a swarm cell.

Crikey, it's like a colour blind playing red or black! That's swarm preps and no point destroying qcells, it doesn't solve anything. Put the queen in a nuc now, thin down to 1 open cell, come back in 7 days and knock all other cells they will have made with available larvae.

What to do?
1/ If QC next week let the bees sort it.
2/ If QC next week, knock down all but 1 and move queen into nuc and use her to produce brood, draw brood frames etc.
3/ Demarree

Thoughts please.

1. Bees will swarm.
2. Nuc or make up a reserve colony for insurance over winter.
I often leave two cells to develop (having removed the resident Q) and and remove one on day 14.
If I leave two cells both on different frames then I make up a nuc or double up a colony with another BB an upper entrance and part split the brood with bees attached. . Use the main colony as the cell raiser until day 14 ( if they are swarming they will leave both cells if not they will tear one down), if swarming mode remove all other cells produced. For insurance or expansion the upper BB is placed on modified CB with entrance and a piece of mesh in between for colony scent to continue, should one Q fail simply unite.
3. Too late.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back