2hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2hives

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all. I am new to the forum and in my first year of keeping bees. I will have many questions along the way. Supers have just been cleared for extraction. Soooooo excited!!!
How do I make a warming cabinet from my old fridge?

go to search and type in stc 1000 thermostat and that will give you an idea of what you need for a warming cabinet

What is unsafe about light bulb ? I have used them for donkey's years . Cheap and cheerful , never used a thermostat but hang a max-min thermometer inside the cabinet and it's never gone out of parameters.
I bought a stock in when they were to be phased out but now they're openly on sale as rough service lamps which are still legal!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your choice. Just make sure you name is attached to your recommendation, so any litigation, in the event of an electrocution can be directed in your direction.

I would strongly advise the OP to take advice from a properly qualified electrician before accepting your suggestions on the matter.

Common sense died years ago, so I heard, but not by electrocution.

Don't you just love being and alarmist or should that read always right .
I am/was a qualified electrician and plant engineer up to retirement !
Light bulbs are used as heat sources in many applications ,from keeping neon tubes warm in flashing airport beacons to flame effect electric fires .Google 'tesla lamp' .
They are used in series with operating coils in automated systems to aid quick diagnostics .
Any piece of apparatus incorrectly wired can cause electrocution ,why single out a light fitting ?
Why introduce litigation into the thread!
Do you have shares in a firm of ambulance chasing lawyers ?
Back to sanity , a light bulb ,properly installed in a baton fitting properly ,properly fixed and protected from accidental damage with suffice as a heat source for an average sized refrigerator cabinet .
VM

Welcome to the forum.
The more beekeepers, the more disagreements! :)

My suggestion on your warming cabinet would be to plug it into the mains through an RCD safety plug - which should protect you from the consequences of mistakes or accidents!

And to be ultra safe make sure it's a 30 mili-amp ,30 mili-second one ! :D
VM

Or just be sensible and install a safe heating supply in the first place. None of your applications supplied (and they are legitimate uses) involve aqueous liquids propped over a) an incandescent heat supply which would crack if cool liquid were to drip on it while hot and b) use of a non-water-proof connection to the the mains supply with a bucket of liquid above. Both potentially hazardous.

Ha, ha. How many light fittings are wired live, neutral and earth? Not many and not many amateurs would. I've come across extension leads made up with twin core and connected to equipment that should have an earth connection.

Being safe is better than making it safe after the accident. Did you mention the RCD earlier? Just another little ommission for the non-electricain to already know about.

My advice still stands. Ask a proper electrician. They would not be recommending an incandescent light bulb in any situation like that and most certainly not an ordinary light fitting without a waterproof housing for a duty, particularly directly below a bucket of liquid.

If you are a real electrician, you would know that and are just arguing for the sake of arguing. What you can get away with is not necessarily what everyone could cope with. End of story.
Litigation? You are inviting it by suggestig un-safe practices on a public forum.

Don't dismiss me with your " end of story " malarkey and IF your a real electrician !
Get a grip you punctilious prig!
You've obviously learned nothing from your periods in the sin bin .
I expect ,I'll now be banned but what needs to be said must be said !
END OF STORY !
VM

:welcome:

I use a fridge to control the temperature of my brewing and using a thing called a brewpi can control to 0.05 of a Degree which of course is totally over the top for honey :).
If you want a tight control of your temperature +/- 1 degree and are handy or have a nice friend, consider an STC1000 that you will have to wire;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TvX1Zz1-Y

Without wanting to get into the last discussion re heat sources homebrewers can't use lightbulbs as light skunks our beer.
For heating we use a conservatory heater http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1-Foot-Tubul...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item3ce10868b6
To make the cable tidy, drill through the side rather than squashing it through the door seal if you still want to use your fridge. Be careful when drilling the side in case you drill through the cooling circuit which tends to be in the sides on older models.

Last edited:
A reply to everyone---Thank you for just taking the time to read my message and respond.
Can i use an immersion heater in some form?

U-toob vid is good, but the one I am currently installing will be constructed slightly differently.

I have purchased a robust project box and the component parts will mostly be attached to, or through, the lid of the box. I decided to do it this way so that I can mount the box on the wall with the outlet sockets clearly labelled and fitted below the controller which will be easily visible near eye level.

I shall be using heavier guage connecting tails and they will be secured into insulated connection blocks, rather than his soldered tails (which don't appear to be of 10A rating, but more than adequate for this particular duty). To be fair, his controller may have been the 5A version.

Therefore there will only be two cable entry points - one from the mains supply and one for the sensor wiring. The holes in the box will be have grommets, for abrasion avoidance, and there will be a somewhat better arrangement to avoid cable pull-out.

A larger more expensive box but a tidier outcome, I feel, with no trailing sockets hanging from or laying next to the box.

Just for heating my fermenters I use Micoclimate vivarium dimmerst controllers along with either a vivarium heat mat or pet warming heater of 10W power. Plenty of power for warming to 18-22 degrees Celsius, but not for this application.

I now melt my honey (in10l buckets) using a L*dl jam maker. Does the job quickly and efficiently - was not so much more expensive than a contoller and heater. It is used for other duties and is easily packed away. And, of couse, so much safer than incandescent light bulbs and IP 0 fittings!

RAB

I now melt my honey (in10l buckets) using a L*dl jam maker. Does the job quickly and efficiently - was not so much more expensive than a contoller and heater. It is used for other duties and is easily packed away. And, of couse, so much safer than incandescent light bulbs and IP 0 fittings!

RAB

Brilliant for heating honey to jar in in the middle of winter.
Great for "canning" fruit too. I've just made some plums in honey syrup and the jars are sitting shining on the window sill promising a taste of summer with ice cream in the dark days of winter. :)

Last edited:
Hello all. I am new to the forum and in my first year of keeping bees. I will have many questions along the way. Supers have just been cleared for extraction. Soooooo excited!!!

welcome to the forum, you tube is better for your questions, as you'll get answers, rather than loads of posts between members squabbling about who does what,when,maybe and that wont work answers....

my only question would be, what happens next year, will you change your forum name to three hives/four hives/five hives, as it will happen,lol

Many thanks all.

Several things, and various options to consider. I should have guessed that as is the way of beekeeping, there are usually lots of differing opinions.

Last edited:
Not sure yet-who knows what next year will bring. I have just started enjoying my 2 hives, so anything is possible.

[E=2hives;433426]A reply to everyone---Thank you for just taking the time to read my message and respond.
Can i use an immersion heater in some form?[/QUOTE]

Using a typical immersion heater of 3kw rating is massively excessive input for the duty of warming an insulated box by a few degrees. This would lead to excessive temperature oscillation about the set point. Additionally the current drawn circa 13A is likelyto be beyond the switching capability of a close control electronic thermostat which is typically only 3A
Empirical data suggests 30 to 60 watt heaters are suitable for a typical warming cabinet made from an old fridge. That's likely to be one or two 300mm tubular heaters in the bottom of the containment. You "could" use lamps to provide the heat but spillage or rough handling can be dangerous.
Earthing of the metalwork is vital as is following basic electrical good practice.

Latest posts

Back