2016 - Hive Assembly Course in Sussex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips Guys, I was wondering when I watched the Vids why no one used Screws as would make a much more solid box, may also negate the need for glue!!

I've a few plywood 14 x 12 hives built with screws only. As long as the edges are cut accurately, the screws are long enough to give assured pull together and the softwood rails are also accurately cut the result is strong and "square". The advantage of this is it enables dismantling for maintenance if required.

Mine have simply been screwed together for nearly 15 years and none have remotely showed any signs of imminent failure (or even in the distant future). As mine are all top bee space, I assembled them such that they can, relatively easily, be converted to bottom bee space for/by the next user if required.

I always use screws wherever possible, always drill pilot holes (as appropriate) and always screw 'on the tosh' as many fixings are into end grain...

Could you explain what this means, please. I tried googling, but got some very unsavoury looking results. Is it the same as "on the skew"? Ta.

I always use screws wherever possible, always drill pilot holes (as appropriate) and always screw 'on the tosh' as many fixings are into end grain.

I don't screw into the end grains any more but instead screw down from the top, up from the bottom and through the side bars (bit like how the nails should be used actually) - added advantage of the screws not showing on the sides

Attachments

• P8209651.jpg
    P8209651.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P8209653.jpg
    P8209653.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 16
That is a good idea for not having screws or nail heads exposed, JBM.

However, that method would need cramps to pull everything together square,beore insertig fixings, which many do not have or would not know how to use them.

I use rather longer screws and some method of pulling everything tight and square before inserting these longer screws, on the tosh, which means that everything is held firmly for the next generation, perhaps more

Latest posts

Back