2 HIVE FOLDING STAND

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m more of a stand man than pallet man for permanent sites - makes it a lot more comfortable to work the bees (& I don’t suffer any issues of disturbing the other hive/hives on the stand). Stands are sited on 2ft square council slabs for stability & protection from damp. 2.4m in length so during swarm season can easily accommodate splits, stands will hold 4 hives but it does make it tight to work. Legs fold back for transporting although once bees are in situ they’re pretty much there to stay. If anyone is interested pm me & I’ll have a root around for the file with design spec/drawings, would advise the requirement of a decent router to make though.View attachment 23160
Very nice job. The ones I make are almost identical but 1800 long (so I can get a hive from two fence rails) which will take 3 hives at a push, placed on 600x600 slabs.

Attachments

• IMG_333.jpg
    IMG_333.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Don't recommend buying bue Chep pallets (which have the name CHEP marked on them). They are for rental only & not for sale - CHEP have an active recovery team, who will confiscate them if they find them!

I’m more of a stand man than pallet man for permanent sites - makes it a lot more comfortable to work the bees (& I don’t suffer any issues of disturbing the other hive/hives on the stand). Stands are sited on 2ft square council slabs for stability & protection from damp. 2.4m in length so during swarm season can easily accommodate splits, stands will hold 4 hives but it does make it tight to work. Legs fold back for transporting although once bees are in situ they’re pretty much there to stay. If anyone is interested pm me & I’ll have a root around for the file with design spec/drawings, would advise the requirement of a decent router to make though.View attachment 23160

Here is my two-hive version. I also do threes.

Attachments

• 86F922F7-972A-47AA-809C-56DC273A7656.jpeg
    86F922F7-972A-47AA-809C-56DC273A7656.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
Don't recommend buying bue Chep pallets (which have the name CHEP marked on them). They are for rental only & not for sale - CHEP have an active recovery team, who will confiscate them if they find them!
Fortunately my landowner who hosts the colonies sitting on the blue pallets has a shotgun and is not afraid to use it!
Nadelik Lowen

And mine, very similar again. The two stands in the foreground (one awaiting hives) are only half the leg length of the one at the back. We found that one to be too tall when using an UFE (thank you again for the plans @jenkinsbrynmair) and two brood boxes with a 9" roof. The lower ones seem about perfect and next spring I'll be shortening my first attempt. Tanalised timber used except for the two end crossbars on joining the legs which act as the 'stop' the shelf presses down on. Will take three hives at a pinch and I haven't found that a second hive is disturbed when working on the first - but I have the time to work very carefully and gently. Can supply measurements if reqd. 1606475449878.png

And mine, very similar again. The two stands in the foreground (one awaiting hives) are only half the leg length of the one at the back. We found that one to be too tall when using an UFE (thank you again for the plans @jenkinsbrynmair) and two brood boxes with a 9" roof. The lower ones seem about perfect and next spring I'll be shortening my first attempt. Tanalised timber used except for the two end crossbars on joining the legs which act as the 'stop' the shelf presses down on. Will take three hives at a pinch and I haven't found that a second hive is disturbed when working on the first - but I have the time to work very carefully and gently. Can supply measurements if reqd. View attachment 23166
How high off the floor are the two stands? I like my stands to be 18" high, great for inspections and for teaching

How high off the floor are the two stands? I like my stands to be 18" high, great for inspections and for teaching
Also to @Newbeeneil - just had to dash out to measure them :laughing-smiley-004 the lower ones, counting the slabs beneath, are 16" high and the tall one is 24" high. As I'm only about 25" high that's proving a bit much ;)

I have this information on a triple hive stand. Hope it has loaded OK.

Attachments

• Triple Hive Stand photo.pdf
    553.2 KB · Views: 60
Yes, the same plans
I have this information on a triple hive stand. Hope it has loaded OK.

Yes, the same plans that I use as per post 44. I make both doubles and triples and use the cheapest wood that I can find in DIY stores, often that advertised for stud work. Usually not the same dimensions as shown on the plans - it's easy to modify.

lol. That's the help.

Edit: the reality of age is something else (but I can still keep up with a lot of the young ones!).View attachment 23186
No vail or gloves rolande?
Your helper will he inspect like you?
My grandad was the same no gloves or vail to his detriment.

Here's a photo of me in 2017IMG_20170724_164602.jpg
Getting told of because the bees were pooping on the washing.

Latest posts

Back