2 HIVE FOLDING STAND

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Looking at the Black Friday Sale on now at BeeEquipmentLimited
They have a 2 hive wood stand for £25 plus delivery, ready assembled in green.
Wondering how much the DIY brigade could knock one up for... a couple of lengths of CLS and a few screws plus a couple of BZP bolts would not cost much from Wickes.... or is this one to put on the shopping list?
Whachya think????:leaving:

Yeghes da :cheers2:

I make my own stands and they are under a tenner for a double hive stand 1.2m long.
They don't have folding legs though they are glued and screwed.
Takes around 3 2.4 m lengths of cls to make one + paint and fixings.

Last edited:
Looking at the Black Friday Sale on now at BeeEquipmentLimited
They have a 2 hive wood stand for £25 plus delivery, ready assembled in green.
Wondering how much the DIY brigade could knock one up for... a couple of lengths of CLS and a few screws plus a couple of BZP bolts would not cost much from Wickes.... or is this one to put on the shopping list?
Whachya think????:leaving:

Yeghes da :cheers2:
I made some 1.8m long ones a couple of years ago from 2 x 3.6m tanalised fence rails (40x80mm) from Mole Country Store. The cost of materials was just over a tenner and they took about an hour to knock up so if I charged for the labour I would say £25 would be a fair price. In fact they sold at £28 at the local bee auction.

What's wrong with a free pallet or two no DIY no screws? I've a stack in the yard if you want them?

I use small 450/500mm pallets as hive stands a good few coats of cuprinol and if they rot simply swap them out, mine come from the in-law's security business so are free. They are excess once the Chubb safes are installed.

Same here, pallets from a motor oil company - size of four barrels. I cut them down, finish with wood preserver and raise them slightly off the ground. Hives then on stands giving a comfortable working height.

I use small 450/500mm pallets as hive stands a good few coats of cuprinol and if they rot simply swap them out, mine come from the in-law's security business so are free. They are excess once the Chubb safes are installed.
All our pallets once had landscaping materials on or sheep feed bags.. I'm not as fancy, no cutting down as one hive per big pallet can be split when inspecting and the boxes are kept of the floor, I also like to store empty boxes next to the hive with a spare old roof on top ready to be used, it saves having to take boxes out to apiarys when needed.
When using stands with more than one hive on it I've found you can disturb the neighbouring colony through vibration how ever carefull you are.
Pallets have brasses underneath usually 4x2 or 6x2 or whatever is handy stakes, sleepers anything really even dhustone.
Ow I do use a boat level.

I have 10 ex church pews with 3m long pine.. Ideal foe building lots of fixed hivestands..

Cost : fixing and paint and glue approx £5 each

I like a bit of pheasant goes in the hot pot quite nicely, once swimbo has plucked and gutted them. We get them free with the odd duck as well though prefer Pheasant.

I like a bit of pheasant goes in the hot pot quite nicely, once swimbo has plucked and gutted them. We get them free with the odd duck as well though prefer Pheasant.
:iagree: I love pheasant to, I do the plucking though with all the game we get.
Swimbo still has last years birds in the freezer.

Pallets are getting hard to find!
Garden center where we used to get the blue ones from for free wanted £25 each last week!!

When we were a Chubb safes agent ( back in the 80s/90s) they always made a charge for their pallets, and then we had to pay someone to take them away!
The Harley Davidson dealership on the same industrial estate in Dorking used to get the bikes crated up in hickory... went to a local fish and sausage smoker!!!

Like the idea of folding stands... need about 50... another winters project!!

Thanks Nige.C for the cutting list
Chons da

I love pheasant to,
I find it a highly over rated bird. dry with minimal flavour and only good in stews (usually ends up in a cassoulet) they're also a bugger to pluck so I just skin them and remove the legs and breast meat. Partridge or grouse is far superior but to be honest, the humble wood pigeon is far tastier than pheasant. Of course, woodcock on toast is a supper fit for a prince.

Garden center where we used to get the blue ones from for free wanted £25 each last week!!

When we were a Chubb safes agent ( back in the 80s/90s) they always made a charge for their pallets, and then we had to pay someone to take them away!
The Harley Davidson dealership on the same industrial estate in Dorking used to get the bikes crated up in hickory... went to a local fish and sausage smoker!!!

Like the idea of folding stands... need about 50... another winters project!!

Thanks Nige.C for the cutting list
Chons da
Dave, if you want some pallets when things have calmed down as I said we have loads in the yard your welcome to them for free..
I could even meet you somewhere??
You have my number etc.

Partly due probably with the new trend of wood burning stoves and the 'upcycling' movement - the art of taking old unwanted tat and turning it into twee 'shabby chic' tat painted in retro chalk paint.

I've put a single and a double on my wish list (birthday coming up) and plan to use them as templates for making my own. I'll find that easier than following an online plan/template.

Latest posts

Back