2:1 syrup into 1:1....any brilliant ideas?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Being blessed with a "special" brain, I'm having difficulty working out how to dilute my 2:1 thymolised syrup left over from the autumn into 1:1 for a bit of brood stimulation/justincaseage. (I was going to use fondant, but don't have any at the mo, and syrup seems like a better idea at this time of year). I've quite a bit left over and would rather use some of it now (in the prescribed dribs and drabs rather than drowning them in it so they have no room to breed) than have it sitting around for another season.

There must be an easy ratio of water to add to do the convertion....but because the original ration was by weight and now is a combined liquid, my brain is hurting.....boffins please reveal the secret!

just add the same volume of water again that you used originally

I dont think that will work. Your forgetting total volume of the original amount. In that he would have added enough water to create the 2 to 1 mix. That made a total amount. He has used some. So now the total amount is less. Add teh original water level will create a less than 1 to 1 mix. Unless I am talking pants?

2:1 (sugar:water) to 1:1

for every kg of your 2:1 syrup add 330ml of water (allowing for a little evaporation loss during the first manufacture process).

More to the point take a hand blender / liquidiser or similar and zap it, otherwise you'll have a load of 2:1 pockets of syrup along with a general mass of very weak sugar solution that - thymol or not - will go mouldy in no time (the thymol is all locked up in the 2:1 pockets)

Edit add: just seen Storms post, correct, work on ratio's not original volumes

Last edited:
what i meant was per fixed quantity that you have.

so if you don't have stored bottles of say 1kg sugar batches all you need to do is divide the quantity you have by nearest multiple of 1 full batch of syrup.

1:1: 1kg sugar plus 1 litre water = 1625ml.

so for every litre of syrup you have you need to add: 1/1.625 = another 615ml water.

Thanks for that Rosti - I'll give it a go. A couple of days in the back of the Land Rover (series 3, so nice hard springs!) should mix it up nicely!

and Drstitson...ta too! It is all in 20 or 25 litre containers....I'll try to get my head around both solutions and see if it works out the same!

what i meant was per fixed quantity that you have.

so if you don't have stored bottles of say 1kg sugar batches all you need to do is divide the quantity you have by nearest multiple of 1 full batch of syrup.

1:1: 1kg sugar plus 1 litre water = 1625ml.

so for every litre of syrup you have you need to add: 1/1.625 = another 615ml water.

No sorry, in the interests of getting this right (including me if I am wrong) I dont think you can do that!

We normally make up our syrup by weighing sugar (grams / Kg) and measuring water volume, we get away with this because 1 ml water = 1g. Not so for the made up syrup - not sure what it's specific density is?

Weigh your syrup (kg) and add 330 ml (or grams) water per Kg not per litre.

or if its easier
Total volume of 2 to 1 you have left
minus a third gives you roughly the water content now
leaves two thirds sugar
add the same as the one third of water left.

Rough but hey lol.

Edit - this should work because as you say everything you did originally was weighed out and not done by volume.

Last edited:
excuse me but: if i were making 2:1 syrup from scratch 1 would add 2 litres/kg of water to 1kg sugar.

when you made 1:1 with 1kg and 1 litre the result was 1.625l. so for every 1.625l of 1:1 syrup you need to add 1 litre. simple. final volume/sg not important.

BTW density of 1:1 syrup is 2kg/1.625litres = 1.230 kg/l.

Last edited:
ummmm...surely there are 2kg sugar to 1L of water? I normally put in 8 llbs of sugar into a 5 litre feeder then top up...translating to 32 lbs into a 20L drum and top that up....then throw in the thymol and leave in the back of the landy until done! Brain properly fried now...will have a lie down in a darkened room and see if it all makes sense when I come out.

excuse me but: if i were making 2:1 syrup from scratch 1 would add 2 litres/kg of water to 1kg sugar.

when you made 1:1 with 1kg and 1 litre the result was 1.625l. so for every 1.625l of 1:1 syrup you need to add 1 litre. simple. final volume/sg not important.

I'm missing something in your method and ratio assumption here ....
Its normal to make 2:1 as 2 parts sugar to 1 part water (autumn feed) and 1:1 sugar:water as spring stimulating or summer feed. I think you have your ratio reversed.

its also a complicated route you are taking (with an extra calc stage) and I can't validate the 1.625 figure you quote (note not saying it's wrong saying I cant validate it) but, you say for every 1.625 of 1:1 syrup add etc .... thats the whole point we haven't got 1:1 syrup yet we've got 2:1 - I think you'll over dilute following that method ????

...I'm feeling slightly better that I had difficulty working this one out! Keep going....it'll get sorted anytime soon! Thanks for your brain cells...much appreciated.

oops. wrong way round as pointed out. can't remember final volume of 2kg:1l but whatever that is you need to add another litre.

BTW density of 1:1 syrup is 2kg/1.625litres = 1.230 kg/l.

I'm glad you are not my Dr!

keep going Ahhhhhh! - not from me Leigh! good luck with it though, life too short for this thread

:beatdeadhorse5:

Leigh you working on a 2 to 1 mix.

1 3rd water
2 3rds sugar

You have used some of your original amount so your 2 to 1 mix is still 2 to 1 but its total volume has changed - got less. It does not matter its still 2 to 1.

Weigh what you have left. 1 3rd will be water. In order to make it 1 to 1 you need to add the same amount as the 1 3rd of water thats in the mix now.

When you do that the volume of water will become half of the total mixture. Thereby 1 to 1. It will be rough because as Rosti says evaporation.

EDIT: or to make it even easier - if you had three marbles 1 green (water), and 2 Red (sugar), that makes 3 and is your 2 to 1 mix. Add another marble (green - water) and you have equal amounts of red and green marbles and therefore 1 to 1 mix.

Last edited:
Leigh you working on a 2 to 1 mix.

1 3rd water
2 3rds sugar

You have used some of your original amount so your 2 to 1 mix is still 2 to 1 but its total volume has changed - got less. It does not matter its still 2 to 1.

Weigh what you have left. 1 3rd will be water. In order to make it 1 to 1 you need to add the same amount as the 1 3rd of water thats in the mix now.

When you do that the volume of water will become half of the total mixture. Thereby 1 to 1. It will be rough because as Rosti says evaporation.

Agreed

Storm....that's nailed it...fits into my brain now. Can't remember which tap is imperial water and which tap is metric.....where are my scales.....! Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back