1st Captured Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizzy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1.5 ish
Hi,
just back home with my first captured swarm, i think i may have taken a bit longer then the norm in collecting the rascals, but they are in a box in the garden. My question is due to time will they be ok until tomorrow, and just how do i get them from the box to the brood box? This is my first captured swarm so im wandering around in the dark so to speak.

j

Hi,
just back home with my first captured swarm, i think i may have taken a bit longer then the norm in collecting the rascals, but they are in a box in the garden. My question is due to time will they be ok until tomorrow, and just how do i get them from the box to the brood box? This is my first captured swarm so im wandering around in the dark so to speak.

j

Welcome to the forums Tizzy

Far too late to mess about with them now, unless they are still sealed up in a box without mesh ventilation. If so move them in to a cold room until you are ready to transfer them in your hive tomorrow morning. Hopefully your hive is set up with a few frames of foundation?

Homing the swarm

HI, New one here, I got a swarm last year with the help of a 'local expert'bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie;););), it was an amazing site watching them 'March' into the hive, luckily I have Beeks locally to assist with any issues I have, make sure you have a camera!!I am new to the game really so good luck, sounds like you will get plenty of tips from the group though.

Welcome Tizzy,

This is probably too late but there are a number of ways to get swarms from collection box into your hive.

The pretty way is to prop a sheet of ply/hardboard/ stiff card on the alighting board, cover with a sheet then with a sharp jerk "dump" the whole swarm onto the sheet. They will spread out like funny putty and after a short while they will find the hive entrance and will run in slowly at first then faster and faster. If you are lucky you will see the queen march in.

A practical way is to put an empty brood box or super on top of your box of foundation, shake the bees in and put the roof on and leave them to it for 24 hours. By then they will have occupied the frames the empty box can be removed and crown board put in place.

However you do/did it they will need a feed of 1:1 syrup up to a gallon to help them draw out the foundation. Good luck Mike

Hi again folks, the swarm are now in the brood box, fed, and seem happy. I think the queen is there, just caught a peek of her..... i think. I suppose the next step is to add brood , eggs and stores and wait ...

Latest posts

Back