Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

paul 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hello all. I'm looking for enlightenment.
Is it possible/desirable to use DN4 top bars to make up 14x12 frames?
Or is there a much better alternative?

T

Tom Bick 

Yes DN4 is ok but most people fit DN5 they think they are stronger but probably the same

T

Tom Bick 

Hi Somerford I think that the 14x12 side frames are only available as hoffman but I may be wrong

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
if i have 12 14x12 hoffmans in a brood box. i use 10 DN5 28mm and 2 DN4 22mm

i use the DN4 22mm as store frames at the outer edge frames...easier to remove as a first frame

why 12 frames not 11 plus dummy...5000 extra bees before they swarm

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Muswell I am probably having a senior moment, I see your point on carrying an extra frame, so for those outer frames are you using non-hoffman side bars to make the extra space? If so where did you find 14x12 versions. Tx R

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Muswell I am probably having a senior moment, I see your point on carrying an extra frame, so for those outer frames are you using non-hoffman side bars to make the extra space? If so where did you find 14x12 versions. Tx R
trust me, senior moments are my speciality

no, just hoffmans, ..mine try to pile over the edge of the box as i open and smoke seems to push more up and out rather than down

The smaller top bar gives just a little more space between top bar and side, this means less rolled bees as I wiggle the frame to release as ii lift out or put in the frame...

Latest posts