Treating for mite with a flow on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerCow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I was given a hive, which is health and active, growing rapidly. They were treated with acid over the winter but I have noticed in the burr comb where I cut off some drone cells that there appears to be quite a few mite.

There is a super on-top which they are filling up fast and I don't want to damage that. What are my options?

Picture

Our Polish beekeepering friends are not allowed to treat when supering off honey......
so what do they do to keep the mites at a low level?

Use RHUBARB leaves!!!

It works!!

Chons da

I was given a hive, which is health and active, growing rapidly. They were treated with acid over the winter but I have noticed in the burr comb where I cut off some drone cells that there appears to be quite a few mite.

There is a super on-top which they are filling up fast and I don't want to damage that. What are my options?

Picture

Firstly, you need to ascertain whether you have a problem - not just assume. Research accurate mite counts using alcohol wash or sugar roll.

Our Polish beekeepering friends are not allowed to treat when supering off honey......
so what do they do to keep the mites at a low level?

Use RHUBARB leaves!!!

It works!!

Chons da

I too have seen this Rhubarb leaves varroa treatment idea suggested elsewhere. But surely if it were scientifically proven to be effective we’d all be doing it?

I remember when I last made rhubarb wine it does contain a lot of oxalic acid,so I suppose the bees chewing the leaves up to remove from the hive may have some benefit but I wouldn't count on it.

I too have seen this Rhubarb leaves varroa treatment idea suggested elsewhere. But surely if it were scientifically proven to be effective we’d all be doing it?

Take it from where it came from!!
I suppose the bees chewing the leaves up to remove from the hive may have some benefit.
Why? OA works by contact with the mite, not ingestion

Shirley yes.. the Veterinary meds lot have licensed it as Apibioxall !

Treat the freshly harveated rhubarb leaves like tobacco and hang up to dry to a leathery texture, remove the larger veins and lay on top of the queen excluder if you use the bee killing devices.

If you can see the little mites running around.. you have a bit of a problem... no point at that stage poncing around with sugar rolling or alcohol washes.

Some older beekeepers will remember being told to sprinkle icing sugar over the frames... Thorns still sell a sugar shaker!

Chons da

Shirley yes.. the Veterinary meds lot have licensed it as Apibioxall !

Treat the freshly harveated rhubarb leaves like tobacco and hang up to dry to a leathery texture, remove the larger veins and lay on top of the queen excluder if you use the bee killing devices.

If you can see the little mites running around.. you have a bit of a problem... no point at that stage poncing around with sugar rolling or alcohol washes.

Some older beekeepers will remember being told to sprinkle icing sugar over the frames... Thorns still sell a sugar shaker!

Chons da

Well being brand new I am always open to being educated. I also have a stepson who is a research chemist at a well known pharmaceutical company, who has point blank threatened to handcuff his dear wicked old stepmother if I go within a mile of an Oxalic Acid gasing device. He thinks people who mess with that stuff in the middle of a field are all nuts. Well he would, wouldn’t he. But he did scare me enough to make me think I am not to be trusted with that stuff. Apibioxol I have heard of. There are encouraging peer reviews. Sugar dusting always piqued my skeptical nerve - is it meant to rot the Varroa’s teeth?

I did attend a lecture by a Varroa expert who advocated treating sparingly and with a variety of products to avoid or delay immunity. That made scientific sense to me. I do have a Rhubarb plant as it goes and I am always game for a laugh if the end result isn’t going to risk me having me euthanasing myself. I won’t be relying on it though.

Well being brand new I am always open to being
educated. I also have a stepson who is a research chemist at a well known
pharmaceutical company, who has point blank threatened to handcuff his dear
wicked old stepmother if I go within a mile of an Oxalic Acid gasing device. He
thinks people who mess with that stuff in the middle of a field are all nuts.
(edit)

I wouldn't go as far as "nuts" in assesment Julie but certainly in
the use of sublimated OA it'd be unwise not to use the PPE
recommended, and only use 'approved' heating crucibles.
Possibilities of contagion in the way of misuse of glyphosate
being the motivator to use OA safely.
However for myself only OA anything is redundant.
Relatively recent developments around an 'old' concept has
convinced myself to invest in this new device for that day
Varroa Destructor (VD) crosses the moat onto our shores.

https://www.beehivethermalindustries.com/

Food for thought?

Bill

Last edited:
Use RHUBARB leaves!!!

It works!!

Hoppy you are talking a steaming pile of horse manure about rhubarb leaves
Provide one bit of peer reviewed research that Rhubarb leaves on their own are efficacious vs Varroa...you won't be able to.... as the only anecdotal evidence is from a non peer reviewed Polish beekeeping magazine. Similar to latest BBKA article that small cell and smaller bees = no varroa.
You constantly provide a load of toss and misinformation that may cause beekeepers to lose colonies. You must be really proud of yourself.

Last edited:
...........snip....Rhubarb leaves on their own are efficacious vs Varroa...you won't be able to.... as the only anecdotal evidence is from a non peer reviewed Polish beekeeping magazine. Similar to latest BBKA article that small cell and smaller bees = no varroa....snip....

I seriously hope that is not supposed to be NEW news. I was reading about that scenario three years ago. There was some "research" I found then, American I think, it did suggest that the incidence of varroa in small cells was less, not conclusive of course.

I seriously hope that is not supposed to be NEW news. I was reading about that scenario three years ago. There was some "research" I found then, American I think, it did suggest that the incidence of varroa in small cells was less, not conclusive of course.

Well it's in the NEWest edition of the BBKA mag...

Yes - and it was swiftly, scientifically and categorically rubbished across the board. another example of the American head in the sand attitude of fiddling around with varroa instead of just getting on and treating it like the civilised world does.

You'd need between 2 and 5kg of rhubarb leaves to give the same dose as Randy Oliver's oxalic/glycerine shop towels and the rhubarb would lack the glycerine medium to help it adhere to give surfaces.
In short, it won't work and the beginners forum is no place for joking about the fact that they will, lest the idea be given more gravity than it deserves

Back