Buckfast Abbey Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
I know that the "Buckfast Abbey Hive" is a modified Dadant, but there are constant references to additional modifications as well as the extra frame.

http://dave-cushman.net/bee/buckfastdadant.html

Does anyone have a link showing the drawings / measurements of this Hive.

This is just out of interest, at present I'm not thinking of switching over to it - the last time I Posted a request for info. on an unusual Hive I didn't get positive responses :(

The ones I saw on visits was it was rebated so both the suppers and brood boxes would not slip during transport. The crown board had two brass plates fitted with holes in that would take metal rods that screwed into the floor, again this was to aid the movement. Hivemaker on here has or did have some of Brother Adams original hives etc. He might be the best person to ask.

... it was rebated so ... would not slip during transport. The crown board had two brass plates fitted with holes in that would take metal rods that screwed into the floor, again this was to aid the movement. Hivemaker on here has or did have some of Brother Adams original hives etc. He might be the best person to ask.

I've thought before that rebated would be a good idea, not only does it help in the stability of the hive, but also helps make it less draughty. But I've been told by beekeepers I must place the boxes on side ways - moving to the side and lowering down until I am ontop, this is to reduce the chances of crushing bees; but if you use a rebate then you must place the box right down ontop from above and crush quite a few bees, I wonder why he didn't just use some straps to hold them together?

I wonder if the rods were to only help in transportation, I remember Br. Adam mentioning in a book that he took extra precaution against the wind.

Hope you're right about Hivemaker having an old one, I would like to know what The Expert decided was the best hive ... probably the best one for him!

TooBee, Paradise honey hives from Finland are rebated, if you want a modern rebated hive.Some dislike them others find them excellent especially for migratory work and a puff of smoke encourages the bees to get out of the way.I have never encountered anyone who used the Buckfast variation of the dadant hive. I doubt that B.A. ever lifted them:rolleyes:Double langstroths are popular for a reason.

Rebates hives are much easier to use if your bees are not runny on the comb or aggressive. Possibly why he found the advantages outweighed the disadvantage.
Quis Custodiet, when you say "double langstroth" do you mean 8 or 10 frame? Both are overkill really so 8 would make more sense. To be fair, for Buckfast double national is a better fit really ( if you go the double brood route)

Quis Custodiet, when you say "double langstroth" do you mean 8 or 10 frame? Both are overkill really so 8 would make more sense.

I use double Langstroth (10 frame). Some are from Paradise Honey. They lock together nicely and there is never any water ingress so the hives are nice and dry.
The Sweinty polyhives that have no rebate are just as good for preventing water ingress but seem a bit thicker than the Paradise Honey ones (I haven't measured them so can't say for certain).

Br Adam used a slightly larger version of the Dadant (I seem to remember there was space for two extra frames although I remember Peter Donovan saying they didn't always use it - it provided space for the dummy board and to manouvre the first frame easily)

Last edited:
Rebated hives made many many years ago, company long gone, pics and prices from 1933 catalogue!

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 42
  • img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 58
  • img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 47
Thanks
those are very interesting, the Roof shown on the right hand photo reminds me of the one sold by DonegalBees for their Nationals.

The essence of the Buckfast hive is a square box with capacity for 12 Dadant frames.

http://www.imkerpedia.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Tekeningen_van_de_Buckfastkast

I converted to square Dadant size equipment over the last 2 years. The results are impressive. There are a few modifications in my hives. I made frames with 32 mm end bars with self spacing construction. The result is that I can fit 14 frames into a hive body with room to spare. Adding a center divider permits the hive to be used with two queens.

Brother Adam did move his hives though I suspect he did not often pick up the brood boxes by himself.

The interior dimensions of the hive body are 465 mm X 465 mm X 295 mm deep.

Latest posts

Back