Bees Capping Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
My best hive is now on its third super, two others on there second.

All frames are full, but not one is capped.

Is the hight away from the brood box an issue with them capping honey?

Nope, it is just not ready to be capped.

They will cap it as soon as the water content is correct. If you have a flow on they will be too busy gathering the runny stuff:drool5:

Thank you, there is a very strong flow at the moment, filling a super a week.

Wonder how long it will last?

Best hive on 5 supers with one fairly new one on for room. Right now, give em some room and don't worry about the capping just yet.

Basically, as long as you are free of OSR all your honey will likely be OK until harvest time.

Loads of time yet for increasing stores, and/or reducing as well. What I get is what I accept; can't change the 'this luvverley up 'n down British summery wevver' - just hope we get a decent summer, sometime soon. I've done alright so far but it can change.

I wonder whether the bees don't cap it because they don't want to uncap it in the not too distant future (do they know something about the up-coming weather?)

RAB

I wonder whether the bees don't cap it because they don't want to uncap it in the not too distant future (do they know something about the up-coming weather?)
RAB

I reckon they're reactive, not proactive.

RAB

Not tested mine yet, but I hope its not 20% again like last year or it will be uncapped and given back to them to deal with...
thumbsdown.gif

RAB

My take on it is, that the bees wont cap it untill they know they dont need it. No sense of capping it and putting it into storage if your going to have to unpack it again in the near future.

They aim to get it all capped before winter so, come late August/September, you should have completely capped supers...

Ben P

Latest posts

Back