Heather 2018

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghornleghorn

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Growth has completely stopped here the last 2 weeks and no sign of rain for another week or two at least.
At what stage would you forget about moving or can it still bounce back a bit even if yields might be lower.

Growth has completely stopped here the last 2 weeks and no sign of rain for another week or two at least.
At what stage would you forget about moving or can it still bounce back a bit even if yields might be lower.

We have lowland heather here in Suffolk on Dunwich Heath by the coast. Because the soil is sandy I know from a few years' experience that it will be useless for me to take a couple of hives there - or even do a recce because of the drought. The heather is likely to be brown rather than purple. Only sustained rain in July would make me reconsider.

We have lowland heather here in Suffolk on Dunwich Heath by the coast. Because the soil is sandy I know from a few years' experience that it will be useless for me to take a couple of hives there - or even do a recce because of the drought. The heather is likely to be brown rather than purple. Only sustained rain in July would make me reconsider.

The Heather on Saddleworth Moor will be an unusual colour this year :(

Sunny and dry forecast here for the next 2 weeks so its bound to rain.

As bad as the spring was its been bone dry for a month now which is very unusual. The heather could be very low yielding this year but I have only been going to the heather for the last 3 years and it has been amazing. Conditions very different this year though.

Cheers, Mick.

Had a call from our heather moor keeper to say its starting to flower so I'm bringing my move a week earlier, got to hustle now but I'm not writing the move off as in my experience it's not easy to read what the heather is going to do, but I do know you won't get a drop if your hives aren't there!

I do know you won't get a drop if your hives aren't there!

Could not agree more.
I'm checking our local moors tomorrow for the ling. Bell is out but in area we use not dense enough to be worth while chasing. Last time I tried they traveled miles for thistles and clover nectar.

Last week, York Moors were shrivelled and crispy where there should have been bog!

The sodden peat usually gives the heather protection, enabling it to grow back from controlled burns.

However, now it just requires some idiot to throw a fag out of a car & it'll be turned to ash with no hope of putting it out!
:toetap05:

Anyone remember 1977?

The National parks & F.C. all put out brand new fire beating stands (Racks of 8" X 12" bit of Lino on a pole).
Some are still there, has anyone here spotted any that are less than 40 years old???

Last week, York Moors were shrivelled and crispy where there should have been bog!

Bit of a sweeping statement given you are taking about a huge area of around 554 square miles. One of the largest expanses of moorland in the UK.
Several people have told me the bell is looking really good at the moment. I hopefully will report back tomorrow on the state of play.

Last edited:
Bit of a sweeping statement given you are taking about a huge area of around 554 square miles. One of the largest expanses of moorland in the UK.

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/nl/about-us/press-office/press-releases/articles2/north-york-moors-on-fire-alert

"EXTREEM FIRE RISK"
Seems to be the view of the National Park Authority? :bump:

+ the local Press???
http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/nl/about-us/press-office/press-releases/articles2/north-york-moors-on-fire-alert

We are talking heather flower nectar not fire risk....
Yes it's dry.
Bell is out...nectar levels unknown.
Ling to come..same unknown.

Have decided against moving because of the fire risk and got less then 5mm rain since 1st week of may. No sign of any break in the weather either

I remember 1976 much better, the hottest driest summer since records began.

Me too
I was straight out of university with a job to go to in the autumn so the summer was spent partying in the sunshine. :D
Halcyon days.
1976 was much different though. The previous autumn and winter were dry.
Last winter and early spring were wet.

And how did the heather yield in 1976?
In comparison to other years....

I don't know, I was living in Oxford during that time, remember starting to drink lager that year for the first time in pubs, as it was chilled, bit frothy though.

I don't know, I was living in Oxford during that time, remember starting to drink lager that year for the first time in pubs, as it was chilled, bit frothy though.

I was living in Guildford in 76, working at the animal virus unit. beekeeping hadn't entered my mind.

Are we approaching an unknown heather yield equation?

Think it will be okay, lot of rain over last winter and well into spring, moors are still quite moist, like big sponges...here anyway, there was a very heavy dew last night as well.

We will find out shortly.
Whatever happens it will add more to the information about heather flows.

Back