Year one Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the original colony was strong and I’d place an empty shallow on top with the Queen excluder between that and the Eke.
The new colony has a standard brood box with an Eke on top. Not as strong as the original yet.

I’m just outside Cheddar in Somerset. Plenty of trees, cider orchards, hedgerows and wild flowers.

I don't think you mean eke. If you have frames in it, and presumably you do (right?), it isn't an eke, it's a super

An eke is a piece of wood (usually only a few inches high) put on to form a completely empty space above (or below!) the box with bees in, for the insertion of fondant, or varroa treatment trays etc

I don't think you mean eke. If you have frames in it, and presumably you do (right?), it isn't an eke, it's a super

An eke is a piece of wood (usually only a few inches high) put on to form a completely empty space above (or below!) the box with bees in, for the insertion of fondant, or varroa treatment trays etc
The ekes are on top below the lid and being used as the fondant store.

We’d love to know how you open up the brood….
I haven’t got to that yet sir. But there isn't any brood being produced yet. So before they do start laying in earnest I will either find a suitable method or get deeper brood boxes.
I was following the advice of a local beek whom suggested the area in which we keep them requires additional space. He suggested a shallow on top of the brood box for additional laying space.
I can see the flaws and as above will probably end up with deeper brood boxes before it’s too late.

I haven’t got to that yet sir. But there isn't any brood being produced yet. So before they do start laying in earnest I will either find a suitable method or get deeper brood boxes.
I was following the advice of a local beek whom suggested the area in which we keep them requires additional space. He suggested a shallow on top of the brood box for additional laying space.
I can see the flaws and as above will probably end up with deeper brood boxes before it’s too late.
No I meant @Antipodes
I’d like to see how he does it.

But won’t that cause the bees to infill the extended space between?
No the queen lays the frames up
The idea is to spread the brood out and put space in the space.
In autumn when I’m feeding I often put a frame of foundation right in the middle of the brood nest. Go back in a week and the frame is drawn and laid up. Repeat.

We’d love to know how you open up the brood….

I tend to roughly follow this guide. Hopefully the forum will allow the link.

Swarm Control, Michael Bush

Scroll down the page to "opening the broodnest". I don't use empty frames however...usually drawn or sometimes flat. Like many on this island, I use a one sized box system (all 144mm, so less than half a foot), and so it's easy to move frames around between boxes. Also, as my apiary sites have a number of hives, with some weaker colonies and some much stronger, I can, if needed and appropriate, rob from the rich and give to the poor, usually moving capped brood. I do it as often during swarming season as needs to be done.

No the queen lays the frames up
The idea is to spread the brood out and put space in the space.
In autumn when I’m feeding I often put a frame of foundation right in the middle of the brood nest. Go back in a week and the frame is drawn and laid up. Repeat.
I have to say that I found your posts confusing! So, just to be clear ( for me) you are saying you split the brood and put frames of foundation between existing frames of brood to encourage a queen to stay!

I have to say that I found your posts confusing! So, just to be clear ( for me) you are saying you split the brood and put frames of foundation between existing frames of brood to encourage a queen to stay!
No, Dani is saying that, in the autumn when feeding she will put a frame of foundation in the middle of the brood as it gets drawn perfectly in double quick time with only worker cells.
Murray McGregor does it frequently.
Nothing to do with 'encouraging the queen to stay'

No, Dani is saying that, in the autumn when feeding she will put a frame of foundation in the middle of the brood as it gets drawn perfectly in double quick time with only worker cells.
Murray McGregor does it frequently.
Nothing to do with 'encouraging the queen to stay'
Does the foundation need to be cut down to suit

JBM has explained what I meant. You can do it to to spread the brood too but I never have.

Latest posts

Back