Would you want to let your kids handle bees like this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncav

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi all,
My daughter recently took part in the International Meeting for Young Beekeepers in Prague. Along with national teams from 14 other countries, they spent a day competing in several events which included various bee handling exercises, held at the Czech Bee Institute.

Their bees are pure-bred Carniolans suited to the local conditions and they are incredibly docile. In fact, there was not a bee suit in sight and many kids didn't even bother with veils - not a single sting for anyone the entire day! Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could all have bees that docile and pleasant to handle….???

A link to the video covering the various competitive exercises including the bee handling sessions is below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViuqQcpRZGk[/ame]

Just shows what a properly planned and funded bee breeding program could achieve....

wow what a great event :)

Brilliant, what an opportunity

Yes, there were teams from England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland - mostly scratch teams compared to the Czechs and others where they selected their teams from literally thousands of entrants decided over regional and national heats. They take beekeeping quite seriously across Eastern Europe....

just read your article in the mag too

That was such a great idea, may be our BKA should do stuff like this if they all readt don't.

That was such a great idea, may be our BKA should do stuff like this if they all readt don't.

I'm afraid elfin safety concerns would stifle the idea.

Pity, though. What happened to those carefree days when we were free to play out, break limbs falling out of trees, getting faces bashed in when bikes ran into walks, getting half drowned falling into canals and instinctively knowing which dirty old men the chuck bricks at.

Oh, to be 40 again!

Dusty.

Pity, though. What happened to those carefree days when we were free to play out, break limbs falling out of trees, getting faces bashed in when bikes ran into walks, getting half drowned falling into canals and instinctively knowing which dirty old men the chuck bricks at.

Oh, to be 40 again!

Dusty.
Sound like a senile delinquent to me :D
VM

Hi all,
My daughter recently took part in the International Meeting for Young Beekeepers in Prague. Along with national teams from 14 other countries, they spent a day competing in several events which included various bee handling exercises, held at the Czech Bee Institute.

Their bees are pure-bred Carniolans suited to the local conditions and they are incredibly docile. In fact, there was not a bee suit in sight and many kids didn't even bother with veils - not a single sting for anyone the entire day! Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could all have bees that docile and pleasant to handle….???

A link to the video covering the various competitive exercises including the bee handling sessions is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViuqQcpRZGk

Just shows what a properly planned and funded bee breeding program could achieve....

Excellent:.) As to your subject line, well of course, most beekids over here would be very lucky to have bees like that, wouldnt they?

Oh, to be 40 again!

Dusty.

I think my generation were the last true kids before the digital revolution turned everyone to zombies. I was a kid in the early 90's and my childhood was much the same as my granddads. (Except I didn't have to look out for bombs)

I think my generation were the last true kids before the digital revolution turned everyone to zombies. I was a kid in the early 90's and my childhood was much the same as my granddads. (Except I didn't have to look out for bombs)
Being a thirties child meant that we looked out for toys, milk bottles etc or rather , anti-personnel mines disguised as these items (Part of the civilian demoralisation tactic used by the Germans). Alls fair in love and war!!
VM

Hi all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViuqQcpRZGk

Yesterday watched a Russian beekeeping video. The men wore only shorts and a knotted hanky on their head. Still don't believe it, no stings. Perhaps the bees 'toe the party line?'.

60's for me. Made bows and arrows out of hazel and string and shot pegs off the clothes line, apples out of trees etc. Also used older brothers air rifle for same job. Made 'tractors' out of cotton reels, lolly sticks and lazzy bands. Made fires in our rhodo den (with the natural chimney in the middle). Climbed trees to watch badgers, deer, foxes etc and sometimes fell out. Etc, etc..........

lol.....and 27 of us used to huddle together in a hole in t'middle o t'road........got a scoop of cold gravel for supper, and had to get up at 10 o clock at night two hours before we went to bed.................

I made be a child of the noughties but youve gotta love monty python :)

Latest posts

Back