would this be worth getting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zubzub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
2 comm bb and nat supers
Hi I have been made this offer what do you think?

(x20 is an'OMO', better than a 'Swift')which would probably be on Ebay within the next 2 weeks.As this is not yet listed I would be happy to sell it to you on a cash on collection basis for £46.00 (or if you wanted a springhead x40 'OMO' instead of a fixed head at £51.00)The accessories would be as the current listing.

Listing:
This unit comes with 3 oculars: x7, x10, x15 and 4 objectives: x4 (Carlton), x8 (Omo), x20 (poss Swift) and x40 (Omo)--giving a magnification range of x28 -- x600.It has a good substage multi lense iris diaphragm condenser.Swing out filter holder with day blue and translucent glass filters + 2 stage clips and an assembly tool.The double sided mirror is very good with no signs of foxing.

ZZ

not worthy

Is it not the same one you posted a couple of days ago or is it slightly different?

I have started to look at microscopes and I from my limited experience it looks as though it will do the job asked of it and a bit more with the 600x magnification.

But as with all things it all depends how well it has been cared for during its life up to date.

I have been offered a Beck model 47 ex school with the 20x objective missing but other than that it will do the job for me and I can always try and get the 20x objective in time.

Hi I have been made this offer what do you think?

(x20 is an'OMO', better than a 'Swift')which would probably be on Ebay within the next 2 weeks.As this is not yet listed I would be happy to sell it to you on a cash on collection basis for £46.00 (or if you wanted a springhead x40 'OMO' instead of a fixed head at £51.00)The accessories would be as the current listing.

Listing:
This unit comes with 3 oculars: x7, x10, x15 and 4 objectives: x4 (Carlton), x8 (Omo), x20 (poss Swift) and x40 (Omo)--giving a magnification range of x28 -- x600.It has a good substage multi lense iris diaphragm condenser.Swing out filter holder with day blue and translucent glass filters + 2 stage clips and an assembly tool.The double sided mirror is very good with no signs of foxing.

ZZ

not worthy

more gadgets? I told you Beekeeping was an addictive hobby!! LOL ;)

Oh, it's a microscope! Congrats to the OP for totally baffling me...

R2

Sorry R2 need to find out about microscope asap before offer goes,so just copied and pasted that part of email for some advise.

ZZ

Sorry R2 need to find out about microscope asap before offer goes,so just copied and pasted that part of email for some advise.

ZZ
For what it's worth I had a go at Nosema hunting recently after a long break from any microscopy. It was like I'd never been away. I was using a newish Brunel SP30 which retails just under £200. It was fairly efficient for the job and would also be useful for, say, pollen identification.

Not sure what's standard on that model, but I'd say good features for the job are a decent under stage lamp/condenser (not just a mirror) and a vernier scale stage (not just clips). Magnification x100 to find your field and x400 to view, but that should be on anything. Big numbers are not better unless the optic quality is there to match. Separate coarse and fine focus is also a good indicator that you're above the toy level.

Binocular would have been nice but not necessary.

Better optics means wider field of view and clearer image and that's mostly what you're paying for. In addition expect smoother focus and a more stable body. The usual optics rule is that to get a significant increase in quality you need to at least double the price. That is, £100 instruments in general will not be as good as the ones costing £200 which will not be as good as those for £400. £800 to £1600 and you're starting to recognise the names from other optics fields such as Nikon or Leica which is what you'd be looking for if your job depended on it.

If you're looking second hand for any precision instrument, look for a case. Not because you really need it, but because chances are it has been better looked after. An original case means it's less likely to be filthy and knocked out of alignment by generations of students. On the other hand, you don't want a case fitted out with example slides and a thousand and one 'accessories' because that's a toy.

In short you're looking for something that would not be out of place in an undergraduate teaching lab. I know from using the Brunel kit that you can get something very acceptable for £200 new. Second hand equivalents in decent condition if other optics are any guide, maybe a quarter to half the new price. There may be models on sale new around £100 that are just as usable, I have not tried them.

There's nothing wrong with being 30 or 40 years old if it's been looked after. Budget brands provided to students in the 70s and 80s were sometimes Russian or East German (Zeiss Jena for example). The design was often 'old fashioned' but the optics were OK. Significantly older and you're paying a collectors premium for shiny brass, not for an instrument that's going to be used.

Realistically, try a few that you can borrow and see what you get on with. That might be difficult in some places but a few minutes instruction saves a lot of time if you've not used one before.

Lomo x20 and the x40 are fine optices. x8 is more basic as is the Charlton. The Lomo X90 is excellent as is the x3.5 if offered, it is brilliant optic and plan.

The Lomo stands are brilliant if serviced, however they are lubricated with tank grease which sets solid (most need work at some time to sort this out). The machine is more than able to do all beekeeper related activitiy. There are however many different variants of stands. Have a look here and search for LOMO:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html

or use this as a good summary paper

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag...opy-uk.org.uk/mag/artoct07/lomo-resource.html

These Lomo optics are more than a match for the current Indian / Chinese fare and the stands are nicer WHEN properly lubricated. 50 pound is a fair price if with wooden case and a few 'bits'. P and P often makes all the difference here at this level as is typically 15 pounds. Bits to look out for a type of condenser, type of light source, type of head, type of stage, extra optics etc. All of which there are a range of qualities / abilities. Your can go from a great simple basic mono machine to a full blown APO with Trinocular head and Halogen lighting.

Last edited:
These are very informative posts. Thanks for them, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back