Wot no sun !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
I certainly went very cold for a few moments

Attachments

• IMG_0573 (2).JPG
    IMG_0573 (2).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0597 (2).JPG
    IMG_0597 (2).JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 5
Nice shots. I'm at farmers' market and managed a rubbish shot on phone through a solar filter. I love eclipses and have seen three total ones.

The cloud cover here was a good solar filter. Brilliant sunshine now as its moving off and cant see a thing.
Camera is just my £60 point, zoom and press, I don't know anything more than that about cameras.

I now its obvious but it went so cold so quickly, the birds stopped singing.

bit rubbish up here, nowhere near dark at all, sky was cloudy, it went a bit dull & birds carried on feeding in the garden. The last total eclipse was a lot darker & all the birds went quiet. disappointed with this one, you would think with the cloud cover it would have gone darker but no, only a little.

Didn't see it, full cloud. WE are only 20mls as the crow flies from PeteD

Good pictures Pete.

bit rubbish up here, nowhere near dark at all, sky was cloudy, it went a bit dull & birds carried on feeding in the garden. The last total eclipse was a lot darker & all the birds went quiet. disappointed with this one, you would think with the cloud cover it would have gone darker but no, only a little.

I blame the tories

What was all the fuss about - hugely disappointing - if there hadn't been all the hullabaloo I wouldn't have noticed it. There was a glorious sun in clear skies, (27degrees C at 13.30 today:sunning:) and to all intents and purposes, that's how it remained. I deliberately stayed out on the yard grooming some nags, waiting for the birds to fall silent, the sky to darken, the chickens to go to roost and the horses to fall asleep(!) but nothing, nowt, zilch, nada. A few moments of slightly duller than it had been, and a little bit cooler, but I only noticed that cos I knew.

I blame the sun.

...There was a glorious sun in clear skies, (27degrees C at 13.30 today:sunning:) and to all intents and purposes, that's how it remained...
Erm, eclipse maximum was at around 09:30 in the UK. It was in single figures C here and cloudy, sun only emerged after 11:00. USA August 2017 probably the next reasonably accessible full eclipse.

(27degrees C at 13.30 today:sunning:) and to all intents and purposes, that's how it remained.

Your lucky BB, a real heatwave, wish it was here, about 30 miles south of you, temperature just managed to reach 13c for a short while....we very rarely get temperatures up to 27c here even during the middle of summer.

I supose you all know what happens after an eclipse, look what happened last time.

What was all the fuss about - hugely disappointing - if there hadn't been all the hullabaloo I wouldn't have noticed it. There was a glorious sun in clear skies, (27degrees C at 13.30 today:sunning:) and to all intents and purposes, that's how it remained. I deliberately stayed out on the yard grooming some nags, waiting for the birds to fall silent, the sky to darken, the chickens to go to roost and the horses to fall asleep(!) but nothing, nowt, zilch, nada. A few moments of slightly duller than it had been, and a little bit cooler, but I only noticed that cos I knew.

I blame the sun.

Strange - I was in Llangyfelach this morning and it was noticeably darker between 0910 and 0940 although I will admit that you wouldn't have known there was an eclipse happening by glancing at the sun- spent most of my career having to stare into the sun so had a quick peek and went back to work - showed the girls in the office the old pinhole trick so they could see the whole thing without getting blinded.

Erm, eclipse maximum was at around 09:30 in the UK. It was in single figures C here and cloudy, sun only emerged after 11:00. USA August 2017 probably the next reasonably accessible full eclipse.

Your lucky BB, a real heatwave, wish it was here, about 30 miles south of you, temperature just managed to reach 13c for a short while....we very rarely get temperatures up to 27c here even during the middle of summer.

Sorry, that temperature was for JBG - I should have said that the thermometer read 27 at 13.30, (I wasn't trying to suggest it was 27 at the time of the eclipse, that's why I specified the time and put it all in brackets...!). BTW the same thermometer got to 30 at 15.30. Perhaps, for all you doubting Thomases, I should add that this thermometer is in full sun, my garden is sheltered, a regular little sun trap, and the reading was probably enhanced by heat bouncing off the patio!:sunning:

Strange - I was in Llangyfelach this morning and it was noticeably darker between 0910 and 0940 although I will admit that you wouldn't have known there was an eclipse happening by glancing at the sun- spent most of my career having to stare into the sun so had a quick peek and went back to work - showed the girls in the office the old pinhole trick so they could see the whole thing without getting blinded.

I did see the eclipse periodically, through a welding visor - watched it from 8.30am onwards til it was all but over. Loved the crescent sun as it reached the maximum, but you're right, JBM, it wasn't obvious if you just cast a cursory glance at the sun. I did notice that it got slightly less light - I can't really say darker - so is it our eyes that compensate for the change in light levels, or is the sun pumping out so much light that almost fully "covering" it with a moon doesn't make a lot of difference? (Or maybe it's just my eyes don't work - that's why I keep misreading the thermometer.:D)

Lucky girls, JBM

What Swansea is that, then?

Yes, it is the one where the jacks live - on my own little planet, apparently!

It has been rather warm here lately - regular temps in the apiary to 17 degrees, rather splendid at the association apiary at Penllergaer this afternoon when I was working there

Sorry, that temperature was for JBG - I should have said that the thermometer read 27 at 13.30, (I wasn't trying to suggest it was 27 at the time of the eclipse, that's why I specified the time and put it all in brackets...!). BTW the same thermometer got to 30 at 15.30. Perhaps, for all you doubting Thomases, I should add that this thermometer is in full sun, my garden is sheltered, a regular little sun trap, and the reading was probably enhanced by heat bouncing off the patio!:sunning:

I did see the eclipse periodically, through a welding visor - watched it from 8.30am onwards til it was all but over. Loved the crescent sun as it reached the maximum, but you're right, JBM, it wasn't obvious if you just cast a cursory glance at the sun. I did notice that it got slightly less light - I can't really say darker - so is it our eyes that compensate for the change in light levels, or is the sun pumping out so much light that almost fully "covering" it with a moon doesn't make a lot of difference? (Or maybe it's just my eyes don't work - that's why I keep misreading the thermometer.:D)

Lucky girls, JBM

Yes, it is the one where the jacks live - on my own little planet, apparently!

Like i said your thermometer must be 10 or 15 degrees out, no way would you get 30 degrees even if you sat in full sun in a foil box! Not being funny but if you are relying on temps for checking bees it needs to be right.

Latest posts

Back