Wot Fun!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's the part I don't understand. If I eat a slice of bread & honey, I have to keep the doors & windows closed, but the videos show perhaps a single curious bee investigating the theft of loads of fresh honey from her hive.

It makes me wonder how far away they can pick up on a source of honey, not nectar or pollen being there.

Nothing worry about that flow hive. It makes many guys happy about their beekeeping. If hive has 6 flow frames, however 90% out of hive are normal frames.

If I must select a hive type between top bar hive or flow hive, absolutely I would take a flow hive.

Michael Bush teaches on Flow Forum, how foundationless frames are natural, and how you can avoid varroa by doing nothing.

Best luck to all flow hive owners. They have in beekeeping bigger problems like couple of flow frames. May the Force be with them!

But merely to harvest honey crop from hives is impossible without extractor. When hive is 6 box tall, and honey flows from outside with speed of 50 kg a week, you cannot handle it with few flow frames.

But you can be proud of new toy . My boy is surgeon, but he is so happy about his new smartphone and about his old BMW. He use to give his old phone then to wife :)

Last edited:
At some times in some locations in Australia, some commercial outfits clear supers of bees by taking off the full supers and leaving then on their sides next to the hives until morning, when they pick up the now clear of bees supers with the honey unrobbed.
Our experiences of robbing bees dont necessarily apply elsewhere, just sayin;)

At some times in some locations in Australia, some commercial outfits clear supers of bees by taking off the full supers and leaving then on their sides next to the hives until morning, when they pick up the now clear of bees supers with the honey unrobbed.

But it would be wrong to indicate that some other country's experience of no-robbing will be replicated here.

I didn't realise they just left them. I've seen them blown through with leaf blowers. Awful to a little hobby keeper like me

Bees are everywhere same kind.

When bees have very good flow, their instinct leads them to flowers.
Open honey is in peace then outside.

A common yield in Australia is 300 kg/hive, because they forage 10 months.

Last edited:
This fella gives a good review of the flow hive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp5H5g2fKXk

There is a form of motor racing in the USA where cars drive incessantly round an oval track. It is know, rather disparagingly, as "Rednecks Turning Left". The video might be entitled "Rednecks learning new skills".

The redneck in the video was the one who took a switch-blade to the Flow™Hive frame when they would not fit his brood box. The video demonstrates what happens when people have no vocabulary - a natural Donald Trump supporter!

CVB

... insight into the behavior of a moron.

Theres nothing more annoying than buying a product that doesn't work but having watched this crazy putting the flow hive in you can safely discount anything he has to say about it, never read the instructions, rests it on the bee hive and starts hacked bits off it to make it 'fit', then puts it into a tiny colony beside a feeder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmW0CvOpD-Y

If you skip forward to 8 min 42 seconds he sees hive beetles and states 'I don't know what they are'

Better Than Authentic Flow FramesQuote from the eBay advert for the "Authentic copy" from China.

And for the price a beginner could buy a half decent National complete with all the kit from yet another eBay seller!

Mytten da

Last edited:
I am relying on first takers to prove that it works :sunning:

Being as there has been a wonderful spring honey flow, with many hives now having filled several supers, I'm surprised we have not had any UK flow hive owners demonstrating how well the frames work yet.

Being as there has been a wonderful spring honey flow, with many hives now having filled several supers, I'm surprised we have not had any UK flow hive owners demonstrating how well the frames work yet.

Probably trying to prise out the rape honey with a screwdriver .... or waiting for the 'free bees' they were promised from swarms to populate the shiny new hives ...

The lady who has posted her flow exploits on YouTube has split her bees twice and has posted that she has honey in her flow frames. It looks ok. A small amount though as she has a severely depleted foraging force owing to the splits.

I haven't heard of any flow hivers harvesting Spring honey....I think most would hold back until after the rape...if they have any sense in the first year.
There are some who have put on the flow frames though and bees are working them and beginning to store nectar.
There are reports coming in from the states where they are harvesting the first spring honey. There are some very pleased beekeepers who found the experience much better than conventional harvesting techniques.
It's a first experience for everyone who bought these frames....so as with using an extractor or doing crush and strain...it's a learning curve.

The lady from Solihull says she has one flow super 80% capped. So I guess the next video will be an extraction. That's pretty good going considering one colony has been split twice and the other has recently been checker-boarded onto double brood.

Under normal circumstances the flow hive would be one of the items that fizzles out and is lost to history, it will be interesting to see how the go fund me prolongs it's most certain end.

I used to collect old bee related patents and had several for "Flow Hives"... it's an idea that has been attempted and unsuccessfully launched many times in the past.

here; found one online; the same idea patented in 1939 http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2223561.pdf

Last edited:
Michael Bush teaches on Flow Forum, how foundationless frames are natural, and how you can avoid varroa by doing nothing.

I have tried Micheal Bush's queens in the past, and use natural cell in my brood frames. My experience on both fronts is that you loose a lot of colonies by doing nothing.

I did have a feral colony last several years without treatment, but the same season that I moved them into an area of civilization the became infested with varroa and died out without treatment.

Also a few years ago he stopped selling queens and "went on sabbatical" for a year. Many of us in the beekeeping community have disused this sabbatical and have come to the conclusion that the most likely scenario is that all his bees died out and he needed a year to repopulate.

If you follow him on the forums he has frequently chimed in on package installs and offered advice on how he does it. Somebody who is as successful as he claims to be theoretically should not have a need to purchase package bees.

Nothing against the man, just my own observations having bought his product, read many of his writings and trialed his methods. My personal thoughts on Mr Bush's methods is that they are pure, adulterated, bull ****.

Latest posts

Back