Woodpecker Armageddon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst bit is when the drilling continues into the summer and even through a metal roof. I've got an apiary where every hive got drilled into. The bees defended the hives but perished on the snow. I've not lost any stocks but some will no doubt be weaker than they shood have been. The site has been occasionally pinged. Last year a couple got hit, this year it was near enough all.

I have put chicken mesh on the hives but will probably end up abandoning the site. Don't forget woodpeckers have long beaks and long tounges so the chicken mesh or wotnot shouldn't be too close to the hives.

Oh... all the double story mini nucs got hit with holes through the roof. No doubt the woodpecker could more easily hear the bees. An emty mini nuc was badly hit. Woodpecker probably got grumpy not finding any bees and trashed it!!!

We have plenty of the green woodpeckers in our garden, but not one turned up this morning while I was doing the RSPB garden birdwatch - perhaps you have shot them all!! Seriously they have not bothered my hives (apparently it is learned behaviour) but my hives have wire netting round them.
Louise

No holes are reported more than once

If you thought the word Armagedon was an exaggeration, think again.

No colonies appeared to suffer from Mr Woodie's visits

I guess Mr Woodie took one lot of bees by surprise . . .

Double dipping is Mr Woodie's speciality

Gaffa tape is good.

Pink is good

Bright colours are often used as camoflage to fool a human adversary . . .

Did you spot the sneaky pic in the last batch?

The one where Mr Woodie tried to cover his tracks by arranging his own special filler for the hole in the roof, but didn't do too well on the placement?

Poly Hives versus WBC - woodie flavour of the week

Mr Woodie definitely has a preference for the softer option, totally ignoring the co-sited WBC hives despite anything that Poly Hive might say on the subject.

On close inspection . . .

Often when looking for woopecker damage, it is close up in the hand holds and for normal sized bee keepers the angle of view can occasionally miss some hits in these positions.

We have a secret weapon however that takes a slightly different view of the problem and regularly sorts out the holes that others miss.

Obviously an upcoming professional bee keeper because she regularly eats a very modest amounts of chocolate with the bee farmers.

Next winter it will all be different . . .

Thank you for posting the pictures Hombre,certainly was a woodpecker Armageddon,hope you, CB and younger helper, have them all blocked up and secure now. Extra chocolate rations today?....lol

That's all folks

The level of damage this winter has been somewhat unprecedented due to the extended low temperatures and the early snow.

So if you have been lucky, there is no guarantee that your luck will hold and Mr Woodie may well decide to vent his spleen on your prized hives.

Having said that and seen the levels of damage in some cases, you need to realise that all the colonies were in rude health and didn't appear to suffer from the visits.

Anyone knowing why woodpeckers are extra fond of feeders and supers though should share that knowledge with us. Mr Woodie didn't anticipate the extra superstructure in a lot of cases.

The holes have been temporarily plugged and will be repaired in the fullness of time.
Not many bees were harmed in the making of these holes, thank goodness.

ouch, sorry to see so much damage, I do get the impression that woodpeckers are fine until they get the taste and then its a free for all - I am doing the rounds this week so hope not to meet this issue

Best be on your lookout Jezd.

Yes Hivemaker, extra chocolate all round. shame about the heater that melted the ration saved for the trip home. The hive tool bucket remained a solid block of ice most of the day though.

Nasty stuff Hombre, glad you've not suffered too many casualties.

Does anyone know if its all woopeckers, or just particular species that can attack hives?

I thought it was just the Green. None around here. We have a resident pair of Spotted, they just take fat balls from the bird table

Nasty stuff Hombre, glad you've not suffered too many casualties.

Does anyone know if its all woopeckers, or just particular species that can attack hives?

I'm just the photographer,but I'm sure that Chris B knows what you mean. No casualties as I said, all colonies concerned are in rude health and before long will be ready to give Mr Woodie a proper welcome if he get's his timing wrong.

As a slight aside, picture 4 in post 24 also shows some pheasant damage. No joke I'm afraid. Last winter an apiary was close to some pens and the birds were in the habit of roosting on the hives. When the gamekeeper stopped feeding them they turned on the poly and decided to round off some of the corners for me.

That's bad news. No green woodies around here but plenty of pheasants. Currently one male with 3 or 4 wives living in the garden. They scoop up all the bird food that drops off the feeder.
Not seen them near the hives though.

if you have a look at the tool station catalogue or it might also be in the screw fix one, we use a poly foam on sites , its not the normal exspanding foam but it used to be advertise as low exspanding or plaster board fix foam, becasue it does not exspand as much it is much more dense and should be a better match to your hives. and whilst you lot are blasting away at ornathology can sit near the hives with mr Weihrauch

Thanks for that Pete. Low expanding or plaster board fixing foam.

I have both catalogues and Tool Station isn't a lot further away from me than Screwfix, the worlds my oxter as they say . . . :party: I'll give it a look see and report back for the edification of others with punctured poly boxes to tend and so that you know to sew on an extra sequin or two on the beesuit.

Latest posts

Back