Wood Turning lathe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm just watching husband painstakingly rounding off the sticks (for the stick chair he's making) by hand. I want to get him a wood turning lathe for :xmas-smiley-033: which he says he doesn't want.
I have no idea what to look for...budget is maybe £350. Anybody out there know about wood lathes? I know it's like asking what's the best hive? but I thought I might give it a shot.....Thank you :)

just bought my son one off flea bay made me 2 candle sticks they are not alike but hes trying lol

Last edited:
I'm just watching husband painstakingly rounding off the sticks (for the stick chair he's making) by hand. I want to get him a wood turning lathe for :xmas-smiley-033: which he says he doesn't want.
I have no idea what to look for...budget is maybe £350. Anybody out there know about wood lathes? I know it's like asking what's the best hive? but I thought I might give it a shot.....Thank you :)

Could you run to a metalworking engineering lathe with adapters? I'd like one of those for the far wider range of applications :)

I say leave him struggle but it might be handy to make a few beekeeping items :biggrinjester:

If he doesn't want one, you are not likely to get the right one (even if he really did).

I've got it wrong so often I have virtually given up on buying J things like that (beading/enamelling kiln was one problem). It won't get used or will be too big, too small or something else. I wish J would not buy me cheap tools, as they are almost invariably superceded by 'proper ones'. This last crhissy it was allen keys (I needed to replace a couple of mislaid sets, which I have done since). I have enough carppy jubilee clips to last a lifetime (they will unless I use them or dump them, because they will need two to new do the job - and I like to use my better quality ones)

If he doesn't want one, you are not likely to get the right one (even if he really did).

I've got it wrong so often I have virtually given up on buying J things like that (beading/enamelling kiln was one problem). It won't get used or will be too big, too small or something else. I wish J would not buy me cheap tools, as they are almost invariably superceded by 'proper ones'. This last crhissy it was allen keys (I needed to replace a couple of mislaid sets, which I have done since). I have enough carppy jubilee clips to last a lifetime (they will unless I use them or dump them, because they will need two to new do the job - and I like to use my better quality ones)

You may have hit the cheap nail with the expensive hammer there RAB.

I'm inclined to agree with you RAB - I tend to buy second hand, often old, British or German tools - many of my machines are nearly as old as I am !!

But - I have to say - places like Axminster Tools do some really good machinery and hand tools which, whilst clearly made in the Far East, are excellent value and well made for what they cost. I've been to Axminster on a visit with my woodturning association and they really do have a proper quality control procedure in place - and, if something doesn't perform as it should, there's a no quibble guarantee. Technical back up is good and they are always helpful on the phone - and they deliver at a reasonable cost (and No- I don't have any connection with them).

Ideally, I'd always prefer to buy a British lathe ... but .. in the hobby class - who makes them anymore in the UK ? Myford - gone, Harrison Union -gone (the Graduate now made under licence with the castings coming from you know where !), Boxford - gone, Denford (Viceroy) - Gone, Winfield - Gone ... Record - still going but it's all made in the Far East and just branded Record. The list is endless. Hundreds of small manufacturers of machine tools gone -mostly in the 1950's and 60's.

I have a Myford ML8 (1964 vintage British) and a Hegner (1980's German) - both brilliant lathes and parts still readily available but if you want a new Hegner like I have then you are looking at £2500+ for the basic lathe. Myford - well, no more new ones there.

So ... what, within reasonable costs for new, are you looking at ? The choices are very limited.

JET Lathes are very good - put together in the USA from (I suspect) Far East castings and motors ... and then exported. But they are expensive ... There are some other good lathes made in the USA where the market is much bigger but not too many of them make it over here and if the do then the cost doubles compared to what they sell for in Harbor Freight in the US.

Fortunately, some of our hand tool manufactiurers still survive - Ashley Isles, Hamlet, Sorby, Henry Taylor - all still chisel makers going strong and made in the UK and they are a joy to use - but, the cost is astronomic if you buy new and even second hand tools fetch a premium.

We've let it happen ... and you can't blame successive Governments - if you buy foreign then the UK manufacturer somewhere has to lose out.

If he likes the idea of been a little bit mote hands on then look at pole lathes you could book him a day or weekend course and then he could make himself a lath and perfect for a stick chair. Other than that there's nothing wrong with whittling the pieces by hand, just takes a bit longer that's all.

If he likes the idea of been a little bit mote hands on then look at pole lathes you could book him a day or weekend course and then he could make himself a lath and perfect for a stick chair. Other than that there's nothing wrong with whittling the pieces by hand, just takes a bit longer that's all.

:iagree:You beat me to it Tom. For stick chair legs a pole lathe is the answer.

Okehampton recently gained a Polish shop on the high street to go with Lidls Polish offerings.

Yep!!!!
That's Stan all over.
Thanks Tom

Yep!!!!
That's Stan all over.
Thanks Tom

Go with it EricA, If he's prepared to sit and whittle a chair leg then a pole lathe is the way to go. He's still playing with wood, which we ALL like to do, but he will be getting a quicker result. And ECO wise the power is from his leg.

Latest posts

Back