wiring nails, what do you use and from where?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic Rhodes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
About 30 and in every shape and material but changing number daily!!
My 30 year old stock of wiring nails has now expired and I need to buy some new nails to hold the wire on frames (as opposed to using self wired foundation). I don't use many of these frames, and was wondering what others use nowdays and where did they get their nails from (i.e. DIY store, beekeeping supplier etc). [It is the nails at either end of the wire that goes through the ferrules, not the woodwork nails.]

thanks

will be used to wire up Dadant frames / Langstroth frames

I just use the same gimp pins that are used for assembling Nat frames. Three or four turns of wire - thread - tension - three or four tuns round the last pin - hammer both pins home - job done.

that is what I am using now my others have run out (the old ones were prettier!). Anyone use anything different as I have loads of gimp pins and if so why?

I just use the same gimp pins that are used for assembling Nat frames. Three or four turns of wire - thread - tension - three or four tuns round the last pin - hammer both pins home - job done.

:iagree:

panel pins we have used loads on langstroth frames, have done for years, as you say one either end 3 or 4 turns of wire, hammer in, twist again to break the wire, this leaves a shorter end than cutting. Saves fingers in the field.

thanks all, I will just carry on with my panel pins then, KISS as PH is fond of saying ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back