Wintering.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, having previously lived in Fife for 20 years, I am not so sure ;)
You are relatively lucky as you would only be max 30 mins away from Newburgh so you could nip in when needs be.
I am a 3 hour drive away

This is the reality of living in the North of Scotland, from Perth northwards.
Everyone knows where it is but no one wants to come here, to deliver ( we really are quite friendly.....honest😉)
A quick look at some carriage costs for 12.5kg from UK mainland postcodes to my own specifically.

Menzies Highlands and Islands £11.87 inc VAT

Hermes UK Collection £11.04 inc VAT ~ ~ Hermes ParcelShop £10.86 inc VAT

TNT UK Express Service £25.81 inc VAT

Parcelforce Worldwide Express 48 Drop Off £19.91 inc VAT

Post Office parcel of 10kg first class £21.90 ~ ~ 20kg first class £33.40

In the past I have been quoted some really extortionate prices for deliveries. ( I always ask) When that happens I just cancel the order and go elsewhere on the internet. I have found that I can order the same things (not necessarily bee 'stuff') from Germany in particular (and other EU sources) more cheaply and get free or reduced postage. Delivery times are usually the same !

A quick look at some carriage costs for 12.5kg from UK mainland postcodes to my own specifically.

Menzies Highlands and Islands £11.87 inc VAT

Hermes UK Collection £11.04 inc VAT ~ ~ Hermes ParcelShop £10.86 inc VAT

TNT UK Express Service £25.81 inc VAT

Parcelforce Worldwide Express 48 Drop Off £19.91 inc VAT

Post Office parcel of 10kg first class £21.90 ~ ~ 20kg first class £33.40

In the past I have been quoted some really extortionate prices for deliveries. ( I always ask) When that happens I just cancel the order and go elsewhere on the internet. I have found that I can order the same things (not necessarily bee 'stuff') from Germany in particular (and other EU sources) more cheaply and get free or reduced postage. Delivery times are usually the same !
Not to mention those that define D&G as a remote area 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's genius, thanks and I will copy. :)
I tend to use these more for small colonies in a single box and stick with those insulated partition frames for double brood colonies as they are more flexible, can expand to nine or ten over eight or nine, etc. Choose the nest to suit your queen.

And probably understand what they're saying :D
I had a computer supply company way back around the 1990’s - actually got a genuine order for software from someone living in Timbuktu - firstly I didn’t know it was still a going ‘place’ and secondly it’s only through reading this forum I’ve realised it’s in the Highlands of Scotland ....... who knew 😂🥃😂

Meanwhile, back on topic ;) various ways of over Wintering but the best configuration I've tried is double brood but dummied to sixteen frames, that's eight over eight. They had no feed at all as they had foraged plenty/had enough in the brood area.
Forgive my ‘returning to beekeeping’ simplistic thinking but sounds very similar then to a Warre configuration which I might try (with frames) alongside my BN hives next season. I’m guessing the logic is bees find it easier to move up in cold weather than across?

Meanwhile, back on topic ;) various ways of over Wintering but the best configuration I've tried is double brood but dummied to sixteen frames, that's eight over eight. They had no feed at all as they had foraged plenty/had enough in the brood area.
That was Ian Craig preferred configuration as it provided for many options . There is/was some research (don't recall who and where right now) that indicated how far up the combs bees moved during winter (depending on temps). I think for typical UK winter values its between 10 - 12 inches; the point being that bees did better with that configuration and would probably do better again if the frames were continuous rather than 'broken'.

I have found that I can order the same things (not necessarily bee 'stuff') from Germany in particular (and other EU sources) more cheaply and get free or reduced postage. Delivery times are usually the same !

I've found the same with parts for my classic car; not only that, before BREXIT the prices were quite a bit cheaper...not so now. :(

Example: I just ordered a lot of hive parts from Abelo; admittedly stuck with that supplier if I want their hives. UK delivery a flat £6.50. But to The Highlands, £14.99, all plus VAT. We aren't actually a different country (yet). ;)

...back on topic, has anyone found a B&Q or similar that sells smaller slabs of Kingspan or similar which will fit in an ordinary car? I'm thinking of begging a local builder where I see a whole skip of offcuts outside a new property...what a waste.

Last edited:
I get mine when I buy it from here , but I see they have run out as well. Last time I bought some it was really cheap as it was almost out of date. Im still using it.
I've found the same with parts for my classic car; not only that, before BREXIT the prices were quite a bit cheaper...not so now. :(

Example: I just ordered a lot of hive parts from Abelo; admittedly stuck with that supplier if I want their hives. UK delivery a flat £6.50. But to The Highlands, £14.99, all plus VAT. We aren't actually a different country (yet). ;)

...back on topic, has anyone found a B&Q or similar that sells smaller slabs of Kingspan or similar which will fit in an ordinary car? I'm thinking of begging a local builder where I see a whole skip of offcuts outside a new property...what a waste.

You could saw a sheet down to the size you need it to fit.
You'll be surprised what you can find in a skip.
Last year we had an elderly lady carry a crate for Indian stone on here back down the road.. I stood there with my mouth open in oar.
We asked here, if she wanted we would of delivered it to her house.. Nope!!.. She was of down the road.. Fair play I say.

Last edited:
Double nuc (6 over 6) also works well. Also great moving to a full brood box in spring.
I have found that too. Overwintering two this year in that configuration.

Thank you for that.... I'm off there just now. Handy sized pieces. I've got an idea to glue four pieces cut from this at 510mm each, to lap onto each other and make an external sleeve for the hive...... totally tropical. :)
You need to leave about an inch space at the sides and reinforce the joints with bamboo kebab skewers. And paint them
D76EBB11-1DB1-4C88-92E1-D2613FD2E080.jpeg

Poly Urethane (PU) glue very good for gluing insulation.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-MINUTE...096560&hash=item2a39f828b2:g:dnoAAOxyyq5TMbHH
is what I use..

You MUST wear gloves and old clothes.. It stains hands black for a week or so...

Thanks for that. It tallies with my plan which is to use some PU sealant/adhesive I have ,which I use on lots of car and campervan related projects. Same thing, you must wear gloves; mind you, whenever take them off these days do we? ;)

When I bought full size insulation boards, I took a pencil,steel rule, tape measure and saw. Marked out the 2400 * 1200mm board into 4 and cut it in the car park. It then fitted in car...

Latest posts

Back