Wintering.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are the hives currently set up? I’m doing 3 different things this year. The hive on brood and a half, I’m moving the shallow brood box to the top which is currently at the bottom and pretty empty. With feeding and forage they’ll fill it with stores for winter (Wally Shaw brood and a half method). The not so prolific hive is currently on single brood box and will stay that way. The third more prolific hive on single brood box had a super with partially filled frames nadired a couple of weeks back and I’ll leave it there until early spring. Started feeding and treating on all three now.

14x12 on its own no super no nadir.
I will nadir two boxes for a week just to clear the honey into the broods
Nadiring a shallow is simply a device to move uncapped honey up into the brood box.
If you are leaving 30lb of honey/syrup as well as the 40lb in the brood box it should go on top minus a QX

Various, as some are stronger colonys than others, and I have 14x12s as well as standard nats.

14x12 all supers removed now they will winter on there own stores hopefully until Feb.
Double brood national, supers removed and reversed some of the brood boxes.
Also some of my doubles are down to one brood box with a super nadired to remove uncapped stores, these will get removed in a couple of weeks or not.

I've mixed single brood with nadired supers and some with a super above.

I've two apiarys that still have supers on, remainder of the Heather honey crop, they will have another week and then they will get condensed. I'm going to leave these hives the rest of the crop for winter hopefully a few less to feed.

Im hoping to only have to feed half of my hives, and I'm hoping to go forward in this way in the future.

14x12 on its own no super no nadir.
I will nadir two boxes for a week just to clear the honey into the broods
Nadiring a shallow is simply a device to move uncapped honey up into the brood box.
If you are leaving 30lb of honey/syrup as well as the 40lb in the brood box it should go on top minus a QX
That says it all really (y)

........snip..............14x12 all supers removed now they will winter on there own stores .................
Double brood national, supers removed and reversed some of the brood boxes.
Also some of my doubles are down to one brood box with a super nadired to remove uncapped stores, these will get removed in a couple of weeks.....snip....
All ready then (y)(y)

My aim is to get all colonies into one brood box with stores of up to 40lb in it. The stores need to be in the brood box!
Yes and there is ample room in even a National without a super considering that is 7/8 frames

Yes, I've only in the last week managed to to treat mine, chose amitraz this time - took a while to get hear.
Im having problems sourcing fondant.
My local bakers are pants!.
Association are pants! No bulk orders.
I could go to the farm and collect a barrel of mollases :unsure: :laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-014
I've ordered some via SB. To get me by.

I get mine when I buy it from here , but I see they have run out as well. Last time I bought some it was really cheap as it was almost out of date. Im still using it.

Im having problems sourcing fondant.
My local bakers are pants!.
Association are pants! No bulk orders.
I could go to the farm and collect a barrel of mollases :unsure: :laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-014
I've ordered some via SB. To get me by.
I bought mine a couple of weeks ago from Thornes it was £31 for a 12.5 kg box of Ambrosia.
Had to drive down to collect it, still cheaper than the carriage costs.
We don’t have a baker in our vicinity now.

H1 will be on poly brood and a cedar half (wanted it the other way around really)
H2 will be poly brood with a nadired cedar super,
H3 will be double brood, cedar below, poly above
H4 will be cedar brood with nadired poly super.

I’m hoping to remove the nadired supers early Spring and get the colonies onto double brood.
H1 brood and a half - well, the plan is to find the queen in the Spring and get her into the brood box and get away from brood and a half. The same as the plan this year, but I just couldn’t find the so**ing unmarked queen!

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago from Thornes it was £31 for a 12.5 kg box of Ambrosia.
How much!!
By the way, Ambrosia fondant is no different to any other bog standard fondant I'd advise you to shop around, even with postage costs you can get better than that.

Yes that is the price sadly.
Don’t even mention the carriage costs in an Highland postcode ( not the islands) you would think we lived in Timbuktu, and at least most people of heard of that location.

How much!!
By the way, Ambrosia fondant is no different to any other bog standard fondant I'd advise you to shop around, even with postage costs you can get better than that.

You're right. Try these people next time Speybee the postage won't kill you and I can tell you that their price has remained pretty stable for 3 years.

I get mine when I buy it from here , but I see they have run out as well. Last time I bought some it was really cheap as it was almost out of date. Im still using it.

Yes that is the price sadly.
Don’t even mention the carriage costs in an Highland postcode ( not the islands) you would think we lived in Timbuktu, and at least most people of heard of that location.
Are these people anywhere near you? They were advertising it for £11 on Facebook
Products for Beekeeping

Latest posts

Back