Winter wraps for woodpecker protection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone used these? https://bee-equipment.co.uk/products/winter-wraps-600-x-2-2-m?nosto=frontpage-nosto-3
I'm tempted as a tidier way of protecting against the green woodpecker - my rolls of rusty chicken wire deployed each winter are a terrible faff.
Additionally the material presumably will reduce heat loss caused by wind but might the hives lose radiant heat - the material is matt black?
Grateful for your thoughts.

Dont those wraps encourage water trapping and so damp hives. I would have thought the 3" gap with fine chicken wiring nailed to a frame that can be popped over is healthier

I use large sheets of plastic bird netting to cover several hives at same time. Bees quite happy to fly through netting. Can also use plastic sheet from fertiliser sacs or grow bags pinned to the hive to deter them.

Attachments

• 3 hives netted.JPG
    3 hives netted.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Plastic sheet.JPG
    Plastic sheet.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 55
I use damp-proof course material to wrap my hives. I bought a roll from a builders merchants .. 450mm x 30m for about £13 .. and that's what I think is used in the link by Amari. I staple a couple of strips of sponge to each corner of a hive and wrap around them so there is a gap between the DBC and the hive and I've not had a problem with damp .. or woodpeckers.

Hello , I have seen a post by "high weald beekeeping association"
they constructed a very impressive woodpecker defence
23435078_1466841023432482_2422965055071562188_n.jpg

just an idea, if you are skilled in woodworking

I hope its ok to share their picture

Last edited:
A classic example of lateral thinking and deploying the KISS principle.

PH

We had an issue with them at the main queen unit this spring. Making protectors for nigh on 600 units a non starter and a PITA to use as well. Put up a couple of the hawk kites and have not had a single incident since. They really don't like them.

https://portek.co.uk/portfolio-item/terror-kite-terror-hawk-bird-scaring-kites/

I seen two of those in a field at North Yorkshire last year with a huge flock of wood pigeons and pheasants feeding on the freshly drilled barley below the hawk kites.

I seen two of those in a field at North Yorkshire last year with a huge flock of wood pigeons and pheasants feeding on the freshly drilled barley below the hawk kites.

That can happen once they get used to them. However woodpeckers are pretty nervous at the best of times and though they still come to my bird feeders about 50 metres away they have never gone back to the hives or nucs.

We have two different makes as well, the other more natural 'buzzardy' coloured, and change them round from time to time as suggested by makers and users of these things.

The pigeons and pheasants can come all they like.

Hello , I have seen a post by "high weald beekeeping association"
they constructed a very impressive woodpecker defence
23435078_1466841023432482_2422965055071562188_n.jpg

just an idea, if you are skilled in woodworking
I hope its ok to share their picture

Oh dear, thanks but way beyond my skill level..........;)

Last edited:
Thanks - tempting suggestion. Their website doesn't seem to have prices so I've emailed them

I did not buy it direct, most country stores now have these and there are plenty variants on ebay etc.

The one in the link set me back 64 pounds from a veterinary supplier locally, but the one from ebay was cheaper. Includes the 8 metre high mast to fly it from.

Does it work on Blue tits?

Never tried it..........but would suggest just warming them up might be easier, unless you are one of these old school Druidic/Pictish woad abusers. Soap and water works best on those.

Back