Winter wraps for woodpecker protection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm old skool.

Parus major for me, every time ;)

In pairs of course? Have a penchant for the long tailed ones...and a distinct aversion to bearded.

Seriously though, Great Tits are indeed a menace at the hives when they get a liking for bees, and over time can cause a bit of wear and tear with their...'tap tap tap tap tap grab' method of getting a meal.

Has anyone used these? https://bee-equipment.co.uk/products/winter-wraps-600-x-2-2-m?nosto=frontpage-nosto-3
I'm tempted as a tidier way of protecting against the green woodpecker - my rolls of rusty chicken wire deployed each winter are a terrible faff.
Additionally the material presumably will reduce heat loss caused by wind but might the hives lose radiant heat - the material is matt black?
Grateful for your thoughts.

I have used these for 3 years now, and they work for me.

Similarly, I used old builders woven bags over kingspan cosy because the insulation needed protection from crows. Checked today and hive is bone dry, despite being very exposed on top of hill. For 600 units not, maybe, a good solution but for the people with a handful of hives perhaps just what they need.

Latest posts

Back