winter prep pics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a slightly different note, keep an eye on the rotating entrance cover. I've found that if the screw works slightly loose then the weight of the solid plastic section moves it to the bottom and closes the entrance. Could be a problem if you can't inspect frequently. I remove the cover unless I specifically need it.

On a slightly different note, keep an eye on the rotating entrance cover. I've found that if the screw works slightly loose then the weight of the solid plastic section moves it to the bottom and closes the entrance. Could be a problem if you can't inspect frequently. I remove the cover unless I specifically need it.

I have some of the revolving entrance tyhingymajigs and they can indeed easily turn and close the hive up. I use a small woodscrew to ensure that it cant close accidentally.

I chose to keep insulation on and the bees are doing well even pollen going in yesterday so wasnt a bad idea after all

I am glad they survived.

Any Vulcan would tell you that it is simply not logical to say that they survived because of the insulation though.

Yip. Likely hood is you had healthy colonies with plenty of stores going into winter that probably would have survived anyway. Good to hear they're ok. Obviously did your other preps right so that is something to be proud of.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Blackie,
All good so far. No time to relax yet though the worst bit is still to come. Be vigilant, but I don't need to say that to you do I!!!

Back