Winter Losses so far

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I inspected my hives and fortunately no losses so far,the strongest being Black Mongrels and the weakest Yellow italians, 12c, bright sun and yellow pollen coming in

I then went around the Association apiaries just to see what was dead but did not inspected further

so looked at 35 Colonies and found 4 losses, ( and one that was expected due to high nosema)

always the usual suspects,members of the association that never turn up to Beekeeper improvement lectures ,or the Annual diner or Social events, never do their Varroa treatment on time, always pay their subs late , never get any honey as their hive swarmed and one member that just gave up mid season and left their hive for us to deal with

not all colonies are srtrong but bright yellow pollen is coming in and some hives in sunny location perhaps 500 bees sunning themselves outside on the brood box...roll on spring

No losses here either and most hives seem extremely busy today in the first warm sunshine of 2013 bringing in bright yellow pollen, possibly from the hazels which are just coming into flower locally.

Now thinking of the best time to do my comb changes....

Does attending the association dinner make you a better beekeeper?

Quick look at mine today, no losses so far. Flying, but none bringing in pollen.

I must be a really crap beekeeper because I have never done either of these things (maybe because I have never been part of a club!)

No losses for me to date but our association has lost a couple to date and tomorrows meeting will confirm if all is ok or not with the remaining hives. I have just been given a hive to look after at my association after waiting some three years to get one in the apiary and I hope it is in good shape as there is little I can do right now. I am very pleased to get this hive as I see in my eyes what I consider bad practises in the apiary especially given the difficult circumstances our apiary has and I hope through example I can change a few of them.

Losses

I lost 4 small colonies due to starvation late last year, my own fault I know, and two more due to the cold recently again my fault as I should have united them last year!! I'll learn yet !!.

Dave W

all 7 of mine doing fine but top bar hive looking dodgy

4 hives Quick check today plenty of fondant. 3 hives flying saw a couple bees with orange pollen. So far.

Quick look at mine today, no losses so far. Flying, but none bringing in pollen.

lol pete
hope yo take pics of labels in shops

no the dinner does not make better beekeepers but the free lecture with the dinners by clive De bryan or celia davis our last two years speakers helps but not coming to anything just shows their the lack of engaging and that is the problem, no commitment to the BKA and never put anything back however ever we try to engage with them. never offer to make the tea for the beginners, never clear the association apiaries

we run five community association Apairies as this is London because available space for hives is limited and gardens are small. I know people are busy, cannot make meetings, but a bit of two way help goes a long way, such as going on holiday and helping each other ...those that dont engage...are also those that just leave for a four week mid summer holiday without even telling anyone and it is us who pick up their swarms, or hand you four hive in October, sayingi am giving up, have not fed my bees can you look after them...oh and can i have the boxes back

:sorry: sooory just a rant ( not at you Black Comb) as i have a cold

Are people just observing the tops of the frames whilst inspecting this time of the year or are you pulling out the frames?

All 12 of ours up and running today. Some were doing a passable impression of summer - hordes of bees flying. Not much pollen in evidence, but the crocuses are taking a battering.

As to inspection - not at all at this stage. All we are doing is lifting the roof to check fondant. The crown board stays firmly in place...

Are people just observing the tops of the frames whilst inspecting this time of the year or are you pulling out the frames?

just external only look on most but on few i know are nosmetic i am feeding pollen subsitute patties with Nosevit on the frames tops and lifted the outer frames just to see stores on two lighter hives, but others just hefted

I try not to open up from September to March except for Oxalic

Looks as if I have lost small late nuc from last year,
but others doing well.

Both sides of obs hive taken just after mid day today.

Last edited:
Helped add fondant at local Association apiary this am.

No losses on 20 Nationals and 3 nucs.

All my 8 TBHs alive an flying this am.

Other beeks I spoke to at the Association had similar stories.

(Mind you although last years was awful weather wise, this winter although cold and wet has not been VERY cold and VERY wet)

Back