Winter flowering cherry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelletap

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 - and a promising bait hive
Went down to the apiary and saw some bees flying SE (a usual direction) but about a third or a quarter heading NW back towards the main house. On investigation delighted to see they had found the winter flowering cherry. This was a wedding present from a dear friend who bought it because it would always be in flower on our anniversary (February). Sometimes there seems to be blossom as early as late November and it carries through into March, possibly April.
I haven't seen it mentioned in any books relating to bee friendly plants for this time of the year but thought I'd share this as it is so good to have late winter / early spring forage.
It is also so pretty in the garden at a barren time of year.
Tricia

Thanks for that Tricia. I am giving a talk on bees and flowers at our local group tomorrow, will add that one to my list of flowers in February. Perhaps I should buy one, I know almond comes out early but havn't seen bees on it.
Louise

Another plant that was covered in my garden last year was the lace cap hydrangea though of course that is later - but it has a long flowering period. Glad my post was timely for you, Louiseww.
Tricia

Thanks Tricia - I'm looking to get another tree for the garden so will consider a flowering cherry. Always good to have a bit of early forage.
Janet

Thanks Tricia - I'm looking to get another tree for the garden so will consider a flowering cherry. Always good to have a bit of early forage.
Janet
Make sure as always you get a single flowered one not a double!

good point! we are also going to get a rambling rose and must make sure that is a single flower too...

Winter flowering cherry - I expect you know that the cherry you describe is the variety 'Prunus subhirtella Autumnalis' if you're off shopping for one. Accept no substitute!

Winter flowering cherry - I expect you know that the cherry you describe is the variety 'Prunus subhirtella Autumnalis' if you're off shopping for one. Accept no substitute!

Unless it's P. s. 'Autumnalis Rosea' which is also rather nice but pinker.

Latest posts

Back