Winter clustering.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different weather... Really?

Milton Keynes has to morrow 15C and sun.
It is now night here and I have +8C,

Yakutsk in Siberia has -30C at night a,f -25C by day and sun.

Yakutsk has same latitude as Helsinki 60 degree.

But if the MCR is above 0 it is not -30 inside if it's above 2.5 it's 20c if they are not clustered unless the work done by Southwick and hierich is flawed . Why don't you measure the conductance of your hives and the size of the colonies and contribute to knowledge of science?

Last edited:
But if the MCR is above 0 it is not -30 inside if it's above 2.5 it's 20c if they are not clustered unless the work done by Southwick and hierich is flawed . Why don't you measure the conductance of your hives and the size of the colonies and contribute to knowledge of science?

How can you write that rubbish.

Derekem, I have education biological researcher in university. Don't keep me fool.

You have never been in -30C temperature.
You and your science..... Time killing.

Last edited:
How many that are occupied by bees have you looked into when the temperature has been -30c.

And where he needs that knowledge?

At least I do not open my hives for fun in Winter, even if weather is 5C. I need not. No value in that "science".

How can you write that rubbish.

Derekem, I have education biological researcher in university. Don't keep me fool.

You have never been in -30C temperature.
You and your science..... Time killing.

I have been at below -30C quite a few times. This was in the Alps in winter when I lived in Munich for a few years. My "rubbish" as you call it, has been peer reviewed in an international journal and stood up to scrutiny in 20+ public presentations. I have backed up my arguments with measurements and extensive references. You wont even take measurements of the thermal efficiency of your hives, but instead bluster, when challenged to make a valid contribution.

Your Bombast and Bluster are time killing

Last edited:
Theories are all well and good...................... in theory!

point taken ... The thermal physics poses challenging questions to the accepted norms of Bee Behaviour. It now needs more observations with measurements, conducted with statistical rigour, of honeybees in high MCR conditions. Our own observations have shown that they do not cluster to at least -13C and other "interesting stuff" but we dont have the resources to conduct full scale valid behavioural studies on this.

I have been at below -30C quite a few times. This was in the Alps in winter when I lived in Munich for a few years. My "rubbish" as you call it, has been peer reviewed in an international journal and stood up to scrutiny in 20+ public presentations. I have backed up my arguments with measurements and extensive references. You wont even take measurements of the thermal efficiency of your hives, but instead bluster, when challenged to make a valid contribution.

Your Bombast and Bluster are time killing

I have bought commercial hives, which have very good insulation.
I do not need to measure heat conductance.

My hives are in cluster about in +5 C. Not difficult to see.

What I need to take are is to select such queens which react properly to our climate.

You have barked Finnish poly hives into gap of soil and claimed things which has no practical value in beekeeping.

And if you are a scientist, you really have not time to make science on this forum.

Last edited:
You buy hives then drill a hole half way up the box?
Good insulation?

Yes. I have in every box 15 mm hole. Every box, because bees need an entrance allways in same site.

That comment shows, that you have no practical skills, how to over winter bees in -20C weathers and in half metre snow.

Canadian beekeepers use that system. They are 80% professional and their average yields are something 80 kg/hive.

I measure my skills with honey yield. I do not love hives, which bring under 50 kg/hive.

I love bees, but only productive bees.

Latest posts

Back