Winter brood box combination advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm ok with what feed the bees need as stores for winter but what about brood boxes.... I know lots will have different ways of overwintering their bees but interesting to hear...

3 of my hives are on single national with 1 super on each with around 2 frames of capped honey and all drawn comb (qx in place at he moment) and are still on around 7-8 frames of brood so hopefully they will slow down soon so there's room for stores. 1 of them is laying up any spare cells even in outside frames...
My other hive is on double brood but not as prolific and I think I could get them into 1 bb and take out empty frames. Would you do this? I have seen other threads where beeks saying they go from double brood boxes to over winter in 1, how to do this?
I had thought if it is possible to move this hive to single bb and place a super on this and move the other bb to my other hive that is still laying well and let them fill it and over winter on 2 full brood boxes taking the super off this one... I have loads of ivy now coming out into flower and also weather is warming up again this week. I have completed first round of vaping also if this affects anything
Any thoughts advice welcome....

Mine are getting weighed when i mess on with them...god knows what they have in the brood box as i have not opened the brood area for nearly a Month now...that will be done next year.. i have one Nuc to check but that is the only reason i will be destroying all the work they have done for winter.

Back