Will bees repair damaged frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is indeed an article (possibly in an old copy of the beekeepers quarterly) written by a Scottish beefarmer who tried a similar practice and came to dismiss the idea due to the loss in honey crop. can't remember all the details but i'll look it out later -unless someone else has a copy to hand.

I think it may have been a potted version of my figures, was not actually an accurate set of figures, but gave the general idea. It was some years ago.

I think it may have been a potted version of my figures, was not actually an accurate set of figures, but gave the general idea. It was some years ago.

That doesn't come as any great surprise, you might not be a singularity, but your reputation certainly precedes you. (all good)!

My recent experience was with plastic frames and the rate of waxing them was orders of magnitude that of putting foundation into wooden frames. Take into account the assembly of the frames themselves and the results are eye watering also.

Given your figures thus far Murray, have you any enlightenment for us with regard to waxed plastic frames? I have to accept that you do need a supply of wax available, so a newbee in year one won't be best placed.

I have to add, that I personally don't use plastic frames/foundation.

The thread is very interesting and ITLD has certainly given much food for thought already.

I'm also amazed at the savings to be made by mass buying of foundation. Would I be rude if I asked what sort of figures, in terms of wax weight or sheets of foundation you tend to purchase in a year?

Questions, questions, always questions . . . sorry!:)

PS The red lightweight Sherrif beesuit not quite durable enough and so a thing of the past?

I think it may have been a potted version of my figures........It was some years ago.

Yes, I believe that it was you -but I didn't want to tie your name to it without checking first just incase I was wrong because as you state, it was quite some time ago. At least your presence here has saved me the hassle of searching through boxes for the magazine -I've a great memory for recalling these kinds of references in books and magazines but not for remembering where I've 'filed' them!

Back