why

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Looking at this pic, im wondering why the bottom rail isnt flush. Why the need for this short cut.

Brood-Chamber-Cross-Section.jpg

Bee space.

Not needed on the bottom box. But they-wot-made-it didn't know you were going to use it as the bottom box, did they? Maybe you won't.

RAB

Bee space.

Not needed on the bottom box. But they-wot-made-it didn't know you were going to use it as the bottom box, did they? Maybe you won't.

RAB

On the site i was looking at, it was saying this is the brood box so it got me thinking why it was made this way

putting boxes back

Cant see that many bees getting squashed when putting the box back on and even if some did get squashed, it wouldnt effect the hive much IMO

It is bee space as mentioned. Without it the bees would have a field day propolising your frames to the underside of the box. If the space was to big then they would have a great time attaching with brace comb. It's hard not to squash bees but the smaller the quantity the better as it can spread disease. You may think it's not needed on the bottom box but then it may not be the bottom box one day.

Most hives are constructed with either a top bee space or a Bottom bee space , your picture is of the latter :)
Never mix top and bottom bee space boxes or you'll finish up in Dickie's meadow !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What sort of hives are these, top or bottom space

Nationals can be either. All mine are top bee space.

If you ever realise there are three different siized National boxes, viz: shallow, deep and extra deep.

What they might be used for is up to the individual beekeeper.

Last edited:
The old style unmodified nationals dont have this slightly odd, less than a beespace gap at the bottom.
I'm with Irish guy, why ?

National hives are bottom bee spaced ! During construction they can be adjusted to top bee Spaced !
Squashed bees spew nosema pathogens , not an ideal situation IMHO ,
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back