why the need for these

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Just having a look at a bee website from the north of ireland and looking at these pics im wondering why the need for this wire mesh around the hive.

bbka_album_12_1355943123_large.jpg

bbka_album_12_1355943056_large.jpg

bbka_album_12_1355943056_large.jpg

Ive also been talking to a friend of mine about me making a few hives and getting bees in spring and he's told me that theres a chance that he might be able to get me 2 hives for X amount as he knows someone who had 2 but they moved to OZ to look for work and left the hives with a family member but hes not decided hes going to sell them.

He wasnt even into bees but ended up with them after his grandfather died and he doesnt know much about them.

Im wanting to know, is it better to move the bees now rather than waiting for another few weeks or possiblly spring. Im thinking its best to move now seeing as they wont be leaving the hive much at thsi time of year.

It's OK to move bees in winter.
I've just moved four boxes but then I was moving them only some 100 feet.
I waited for a cold spell and as far as I could tell no bees flew for maybe 10 days. Even so a 100,maybe,went back to where they used to live.
If I was moving bees more than 3 miles I would wait till spring.
No chance of disturbing clustered bees.

I waited for a cold spell and as far as I could tell no bees flew for maybe 10 days. Even so a 100,maybe,went back to where they used to live.

they would be getting moved about 80miles. Would the cluster not just go back to what it was when moved that far and is it ok to put them in back of a van or wioll i need a trailor

My four boxes moved 200 miles this year,two in a van so that's no problem
If it's cold they would remain in cluster certainly

My four boxes moved 200 miles this year,two in a van so that's no problem
If it's cold they would remain in cluster certainly

would they stay in a cluster even thou they will be getting moved about in transport for that length of time. I would have thought with all that movement that they would try and leave the hive. And can you tell me this, when moving the hives, do you block of theyre entrance hole so none can get out. This prob sounds a silly question but its one i think isnt to silly for a newbie like myself.

Moving bees/woodpeckers

You can move bees at anytime of the year. No problem. But in the summer with late daylight you have to lock the bees in when they all return, and thats not until its dark and even then if its a really warm day or evening, sometimes the bees hang around all night outside on the landing platform or front of hive.

So at the moment in your case NOW is the best time. Make sure the hive is strapped together properly, and if possible use a trailer rather than the boot of your car.

The only other thing is the old fashioned rule about 3ft or 3miles.
I have moved bees from one Apiary to the another, 4.5 miles by car but as the crow/bee flies only 3/4 of a mile, with no problems.
What I think the oldies are saying is you cant move from one end of the garden to the other. So move girls to the Apiary first for a couple of weeks then you can move them back again.

Woodpeckers eat your hives nice juicy larvae, and can smell the honey, they don't actually get inside the hive, although the hole they make is sometimes bigger than a tennis ball, so they can reach quite a way inside. No they do not get stung as far as I know. Tough old birds.
Bob.

would they stay in a cluster even thou they will be getting moved about in transport for that length of time. I would have thought with all that movement that they would try and leave the hive. And can you tell me this, when moving the hives, do you block of theyre entrance hole so none can get out. This prob sounds a silly question but its one i think isnt to silly for a newbie like myself.

That's what I mean about disturbing them when it's cold.

If they were my bees I would leave them till spring when they are flying. Shut them in at night, strap up and move either over night or first thing next morning.

Just having a look at a bee website from the north of ireland and looking at these pics im wondering why the need for this wire mesh around the hive...
You don't need them.

It's to guard against green woodpeckers and they don't occur in Ireland.

in my view, moving bees in winter will increase the stress for the colony.Winter is the most stressful time for the bees.Why chance increasing that stress?They will also know they are being moved and prepare for defence.I feel it is better to move in the flying season unless it is a matter of danger, ie flooding.

Last edited:

Surely you mean less than? Under 3 feet or over 3 miles is easy, it's the disctances in between that need thinking about.

And if you decide to move them in a car or van even though you have blocked them in , wear your suit ! Nothing worse than having an escapee or two whizzing round the cab .
G

And if you decide to move them in a car or van even though you have blocked them in , wear your suit ! Nothing worse than having an escapee or two whizzing round the cab .
G

Could you imagine the two of them falling over and all the bees getting out in the van/car. even driving 100miles in a bee suite, you'd get some looks along the road as if your not wise,lol

It only needs one loon to anchor up in front of you and the brood box to slide a little and you could have a very exciting drive on your hands .
Perhaps I should have written that first post better ! Wear your suit but with the veil down , if the need arises you can slip it on .

G

Now winter is the worst time to move a family of bees. In put out that will consume more honey and you are stressed, has many disadvantages. For example, this move can cause diarrhea, or while moving the ball fall bees and can not climb back and die of cold or even die during transport queen. Why not wait until spring, or when the temperature is over 15 degrees.

Surely you mean less than? Under 3 feet or over 3 miles is easy, it's the disctances in between that need thinking about.

No I meant what I said.
The OP's question was should he move the hives he has to purchase now or in the spring.
I simply said that if I was moving more than three miles (which I presume would mean some carrying and then moving in a vehicle and the consequent disturbance to the winter cluster) then I would leave it till spring when they were flying. If the move was to be just a few feet then it was OK to move them in winter providing there was a cold snap....... which I illustrated from personal experience

Latest posts

Back