Why don't horse riders scoop the poop?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Yesterday I watched a horse drop enough bombs to sink a battleship, right outside a row of houses on the edge of town. I'm not sure why this is socially acceptable when any dog owner permitting similar behaviour would be flogged round these parts.

Free delivery of the best rose fertiliser going, and you're complaining? :biggrinjester:

horse mess doesn't contain all the nasties that is in dog's mess.

I know what you mean. It's police horses that do my head in, if a copper saw a dog doing it's relatively small business they'd have you, yet their horses can dump a full load and we've just got to walk round the mountain!

Yes I do remember Sunday afternoon rides with my grandad in his old Morris Minor. There was always a bucket and shovel in the boot just in case we found treasure.

Why don't horse riders scoop the poop?

Health and Safety, combined with short arms. Imagine all those young riders falling off as they keep constant botty watch and the hoorays that might be tempted to use modified chukka sticks as poop scoops and create a whole new social sport as they race round in circles cleaning up after them.

Police horses, where you can find them, are also compost rich. :)

Chukka anyone?

Good point, but no less stinky on your childrens shoes and clothes

As someone who spends my working life with my arm up a cows backside I would beg to differ on this. Horses (and cows) consume vast amounts of fibre rich grass/hay/sileage.....ie vegetable matter and it's in the mouth and out the other end within a couple of hours. Dogs and cats on the other hand consume meat. Their excretea is far more unpleasant to deal with and as someone else pointed out can also contain harmful toxins/bacteria.

As a child, the entrance to my junior school ran alongside a getty, this ran along the backs of rows of terraced houses. The residents put their dogs out into the getty to do their business, the smell in the summer with the hot sun beating down made the getty not a nice place to walk. Horse (and cow) poo is relatively pleasant in comparison............well I know which I'd rather have my hand in :rolleyes:

Frisbee

Is it just me imagining things, or have I seen some sort of attachment for the rear of said animal to catch offending excursions whilst in transit?

Don't you just hate city folk moaning about country ways! Dog poo is on the pavement and easy to miss/step on, horse do do is on the road and big enough to notice even on a trip to Specsavers!

Ooh-R2

I benefit from our local riding stable leaving fresh crap outside our house.

But the effect in winter on your car is BAD: all that nitric acid is very corrosive.

Ok it may be less harmful than dogs but why do they do it right on the apex of a corner ?
The number of times I've had a scary moment motorcycling when leaning into a bend....even had my knee down in a pile once ...... :-(

Also, if dog mess is more harmful becuase of meat, how come cats are allowed to roam about and use my veg patch for their business and I'm not allowed to shoot them -- Cats and kids should be kept on a lead IMHO ......

Ok it may be less harmful than dogs but why do they do it right on the apex of a corner ?
The number of times I've had a scary moment motorcycling when leaning into a bend....even had my knee down in a pile once ...... :-(

What do you do if you come round the bend and there's a whole horse in the road?

to be fair, apart from the obvious re picking up dog poo being relatively easy, ie responsible owner is generally WITH dog when it poos so should be easy to bend down and pick it up!!!

horse riders dont actually CHOOSE where the horse dungs, and often dont even know cos lots of horses can walk and dung at the same time. not to mention getting on and off being a bit tricky in the middle of the road!

and then once they've picked it up, what are they supposed to do with it?

riding on the roads is so dangerous nowadays, (all those motorbikes going round corners LOL) that riders needs BOTH hands to hold on to their horses most of the time....

and folks needn't really walk on the roads...is that not what pavements are for? (country lanes accepted of course)

can you tell I'm a horse rider :):):):):):)

Horse and cow dung are a feature of our roads , live with it ! after all it's pretty innocuous stuff . Dog dirt is a different thing altogether , often carrying pathogens leading to blindness if infected (especially children).
Cats are independent animals and yes they bury their faeces in soil but are hardly likely to deposit it on footpaths/pavements where people (especially grandchildren before jumping into car) have to walk . After dark it can be a night mare !
One wag (wit) down our lane put up a placard with a poem on it , can't remember it all, it was a request to dog walkers and ended with the line , "My grand children have now become accomplished skaters"

John Wilkinson

My Border Collie loves horse poo nearly as much as the roses do :)
But fox poo is a real treat !

Yes but the horse muck has to be just right! not too old, not too new , not too wet , not too dry for my samoyed :D .

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back