why does a Dadant super have less frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggorio

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Maybe it's the case in all hives. Is it something to do with them making deeper comb for honey stores?

Just wondering why my 10 frame Dadant has 9 frame supers.

Just wondering why my 10 frame Dadant has 9 frame supers.

Yes and in fact commercial supers are changed so that instead of 9 they work well with 8 frames in (well thats what my commercial friend does here). Frames have to have been previously drawn out for this to work.

You can imagine that if your handling one frame less per super and getting the same amount of honey from a super that has 8 frames, its a considerable saving in handling and processing afterwards.
I've been told they did try a 7, but the bees just didn't fill them as the cells end up too deep. Instead they build a raft between the frames.

Last edited:
Do you know the spacing in MM of these supers?

I currently keep the same amount of frames in my supers as the broodbox, but I want get these thicker frames but was wondering what the width of these frames should be.

Check out Manleys, side bars are 40mm wide and make for wonderful cut comb.

When I went to the heather and still extracted I interspersed four CC Manley frames in between four extracting combs. Bear in mind CC sells at a serious premium! My Langstroth sups took 8 frames BTW

PH

Do you know the spacing in MM of these supers?

I currently keep the same amount of frames in my supers as the broodbox, but I want get these thicker frames but was wondering what the width of these frames should be.

I'll measure it later for you. The only one I can measure is on it's side as I just painted it

Latest posts

Back