Why are they doing this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ive noticed this many times but thought Id ask to find out what is going on.
Bee's clustering in small groups ( two, threes, fours) on twigs or base of hive. They sit feeding each other then in the morning they are all dead where they stood.
Yesterday for example saw lots of orientation flights so very busy then this again. Im not worried about it as seen it many times over the years but why?

I've seen this a few times, and it used to concern me - but as the numbers have always been always small, I've tended to accept it.

As to why ? Short answer: dunno. Longer answer: maybe it's a case of bees getting lost (for whatever reason ...) and then being refused entry into the hive they choose for sanctuary - then - as they have no better plan, they just form small groups for comfort around and beneath that hive and await the inevitable outcome ?
LJ

I often see one or two bees dead on the hive roof - looking closely at them they seem to be well worn and I've always assumed that they were last legs bees that made it home but either knew they had had it and did not want to die inside the hive or just didn't have anything left to make the last couple of feet ? I've seen other bees transferring pollen and nectar from them whilst they are still alive. Rather assumed that this was all normal ..

You might want to get up close to the ones on the twigs and have a look at the state of them.

I've always assumed they are old bees although they look fine on closer examination. I used to worry about it and pick them up and place them at the entrance for them to walk in. Now I don't bother but just thought someone would know. Same as when you sometimes see pupal stage bees chucked out and wonder why they have done that. Never has an impact and they obviously know what their doing

Possibly chronic paralysis syndrome 1. Years ago was thought to be Acarine but Dr L Bailey questioned this.

I have seen many of mine miss the landing board on a cool day and become too chilled to take flight again or make it up the hive stand, last year i warmed quite a few up and let them go near the hive where they flew of fairly strong and healthy.

Possibly chronic paralysis syndrome 1. Years ago was thought to be Acarine but Dr L Bailey questioned this.

I wonder why he questioned that. When Acarine came here, that's exactly what we found. Small clusters of bees about the apiary, many with K-Wings.

How do the wings look? Folded properly above the abdomen, or unhinged with one wing sticking out to the side?

You all are so far away from the Acarine infestation you may never see any issues. I'm just thinking out loud.

Latest posts

Back