whole grain honey mustard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bram

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Does any one have recipes for making whole grain honey mustard?

I don't tend to add anything sweet to mustard unless I need it for a recipe, such as for ribs or for glazing ham.

Here's my home-made mustard recipe, you can use wine instead of beer. I measure it into the jar it's going to be stored in, otherwise there's either too much or too little.

You could just add as much honey as you think it needs, keep mixing and tasting it until it's right for you. Oh, but be warned, the heat doesn't develop as soon as the seeds have been crushed, it takes a couple of days.

Coarse Mustard

Equal quantities black and white mustard seed

Add enough beer to cover seeds

Cover and leave for two days

Crush with mortar and pestle

Add ¼ teasp each of ground cinnamon, ground allspice, ground ginger; a sprinkle of salt, ground black pepper and a few crushed caraway seeds.
(Use ground allspice, grated nutmeg, ground cloves, ground cinnamon for a 'winter' flavour)

Add about a tablespoon cider vinegar, if it's too thick add a little more beer

Store in airtight bottle/jar​

Excellent! thanks BeeJoyfull and Monsieur Abeille :cheers2:

BASIC DIJON-STYLE MUSTARD Plus Honey Mustard.

This must be made in advance since it must age to the right amount of sharpness. This mustard makes a wonderful gift. Package in an attractive jar and attach a label indicating that the mustard was made with your own honey.

500 ml 2 cups dry white wine

1 1 large onion, chopped

3 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

250 ml 1 cup dry mustard

45 ml 3 tablespoons honey

5 ml 1 teaspoon vegetable oil

10 ml 2 teaspoons salt

Combine wine, onion, and garlic in pan. Heat to boiling and simmer 5 minutes. Cool, strain and discard solids. Add the liquid to dry mustard and stir until smooth. Blend in honey, oil and salt. Return to pan and heat slowly until thickened while stirring constantly. Cool. Place in jars. Age 6 to 8 weeks at room temperature, then refrigerate.

To make Honey Mustard: Add 125 ml (1/2 cup) honey to 250 ml (1 cup) basic mustard.

Latest posts

Back